Stern Cleats

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by Caerus, Nov 16, 2006.

1. JSinclair

JSinclair New Member

new post/old question

Howdy,

Don't know if you got around to installing cleats but here is a suggestion.. on my capri I installed cleats on the bow and stern port and starboard sides primarily for launching and docking. What i used was a standard nylon cleat ... I think they are 4" I mounted them on the gunwale like you were planning. I used some scrap teak and cut a 1/2" x 1/2" x 3" pieces ( you could use PT decking or something similar. I drilled the gunwale and then drilled the teak to create a pseudo backing plate. Then I used 1 1/2" stainless machine screws. They have worked well, I actually had a powerboater friend ... (is that a oxymoron) tow me in one day when the wind evaporated and I was stranded in the middle of the lake. I have since installed a motor mount. We hooked a tow line to the bow cleat and it went without a hitch. no pun intended. Someone mentioned that lines can get tangled in these and that is true. I was out on a day with heavy wind ( about 20knots) and the boom traveler snagged on the cleat. I was easing the main to avoid getting knocked down and It wasn't working ie the main wasn't letting out. I just happened to look at the cleat and noticed that the line to the boom was snagged. I un hooked it just in time, i was about 3 sec from capsizing. So lesson learned if you do install cleats it is wise to wrap them with a line or somehow cover up the tines so the boom traveller doesn't snag when you let out the main. Good luck

Jeremy

2. paulsheller

paulsheller Administrator Staff Member

You would think there would be a product on the market for this - a sort of cleat cover. But I've never seen one. Anyone else?

3. senormechanico

senormechanico New Member

I've seen them. Put a bale over it. Basically a round piece of metal which forms a flattish dome over the cleat. Each end of the bale is fastened to the deck far enough past the cleats so that you still have enough room to pass a line under it to actually be able to use the cleat.

If you don't mind the weight and wallet lightening, there's alway this:

Flush cleat

http://tinyurl.com/2pcmd4

Steve B.