Starting thoughts

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Merrily, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

It makes sense. Like meditation. I do that some to keep my head when I make a bonehead move, which means I use it alot. :rolleyes: I'll take a look at the book later this summer (when I get home), but I'm not sure I'm ready to give up having fun!

2. LPW

LPW New Member

i second that- such a gd book, helps u understand whats been goin on in ur head all the time!
    L

3. jamesfreedman

jamesfreedman New Member

Winning always helps you have fun.

4. TravisR

TravisR New Member

Am I the only person who gets very tense at starts? There are so many boats and you must be very alert not to hit them. I get really shaky and am very scared. How do I overcome this?

5. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

You can learn relaxation techniques.
    More confidence in your ability will help relax you too - that will come with more starts/practice starts and time in the boat, especially close quarter drills where you practice with other boats, trying to stay as close to each other thru tacks,jibes and luffing w/o actually touching.

6. Merrily

The only way I've ever found to overcome fear is to get in there time and again. But do it sensibly--start with smaller, less frightening situations and get control of those before you move up to bigger more aggressive fleets. Go sail with the kids if you have to. If you are already sailing with the kids and they are unpredictable, find a friendly group of adults who will give you some practice starts. Get super familiar with the right of way rules and hold your course when you've got rights.

Or, you could hang back and stay out of the way and get crappy starts like I do. :rolleyes:

7. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

IHMO, it helps to have a few different styles of starts in your "bag of starts".

Each one of these starts has it's own checklist of items that need to happen, within a certain time period. There should also be at least one "escape" plan as part of each style. The events that you control and the sequence needs to be performed w/o much thought, so that your concentration can be focused on what is happening around you that you are not in control of and can re-act accordingly

Knowing which style to use at a given start is the hard part at the beginning of a regatta, but over time, you develop a pretty good idea of what to expect and can narrow it down to one or two that work under those conditions.

This is what works for me the majority of the time.

What doesn't work is when I approach a start sequence w/o a clue (or a plan), just making it up as I go along. Then it becomes a 50-50 (at best) that I will get off the line in the front row, going fast, in clear air, etc...

8. Merrily

Titillating. What are the different styles of starts and what are the checklist of items?

9. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Not that it matters too much, but he's 14 or 15 .

10. Merrily

Well, to be 14 and to be unafraid would be just plain freaky. Don't worry about being afraid. Just be and get some drills in.

11. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

In no way is this complete, and some of them probably have a million different names (and variations) but starting styles might include ....

Port tack approach
    Windward end start
    Pin end start
    Timed approach
    Poaching
    Early setup - protect and defend
    Late Barging at committee boat

Checklists would include such items as:

Determine what the wind is doing (speed and direction) That may start 30 mins or longer prior to the start, and include readings every x minutes
    Determine current flow (strength and direction)
    Drink fluids/food
    Eliminate fluids/food
    Determine clothing
    Determine strategy for first beat
    Determine favored end of line and time to sail from one end to the other
    Determine place to start and starting style
    Set watch, initiate sequence
    Setup sail shape for start
    Water out of cockpit, bailer shut
    Final wind check and favored end of line determined(done in time so that you can sail to either end of line in time to :
    Execute start plan
    30 secs to start - bailer open if nec.
    10-5 seconds - accelerate, vang on if needed
    First minute or two after start - max concentration/max physical exertion

12. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

Shout more. Shouting releases the energy that is making you anxious and helps you control it. Just shout something topical with all your might:

Starboard!

Port!

Swine!

arrrrgh!

Outta the way!

Hello!

damn that's cold!

anything as long as it empties your lungs. A few good laughs about it later and your fears will be gone for good.

13. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Maybe I don't have an issue with it because from the beginning I've raced in fleets with hundreds of boats, even when I was in Sabots in the summer program we had 50+ boats on the line very time. There are several keys for starting in big fleets, you have to know your rules, plain in simple, or at least have a vague idea, and make it sound like you know lol. And you gotta jump in there, anything less that a 1st row start is pretty much a failure. And when the gun goes, you have to up to speed, and get clear air quick. It also helps if you have figured out what you want to do up the first beat, so you know where to go.

14. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

I always find it helps to shout, "DON'T GO IN THERE" or "UP UP UP". I've no idea what they mean but it seems to confuse the opposition.

15. jamesfreedman

jamesfreedman New Member

I think that intimidation tactics can and do work with those who are new to the game but I don't think it is sportsmen like conduct. I personally will laugh and close the door of opportunity.

16. Ross B

Ross B Guest

some of my fav's

intimidation is always a part of the game

17. Merrily

Thanks for the lists, 49208. I think that the organization might help me and I'll study it.