Start your own boat company

If they throw in a active US racing class for the Pointer 14 I'd say you might have a chance. Just
have to convince the yacht clubs to add one more boat class to their fleet.

The photos suggest their location is in Texas, but they're located in Eastern Maine. (Just over the border from tax-free New Hampshire).

Sailors who own both Phantoms and Sunfish like their Phantoms very much. Because I often rig my Sunfish away from shore, I've borrowed their halyard concept for two of my Sunfish.

Sort of sad that a once somewhat viable class (Phantom, not Pointer 14) has been reduced to having its molds sold on Craigslist!!!

Check the stats, US recreational boat building never recovered after 2008 while other recreational products have shown a slight upward trend.
Used recreational boats accounted for almost half the boat sails. To build
a Pointer 14 you would have to be a boat company with excess capacity willing to do a limited run and then sit on the inventory. Nobody sits on inventory anymore. There were many fine boats like the Phantom, Porpoise, Scorpion but the things family's did for recreation in the non-digital age are gone. Only boats that race remain as the fleets need to be updated every couple of years. I guess you could say "Thank God for Fiberglass" as most all the Woodies are long gone. Lots of old wood MC Scows and Lightning's in my area but not race completive.
There are a few wood boats around like the Puddle Duck that you can build and race as a Father Sun project.

how is that done?
If only raising the sail from knee-deep water, I would put a cleat on the mast. Cleatless | SailingForums.com

For raising the sail away from shore, the halyard is run through the stock fairlead, then through a new hole drilled through the splashboard. I use a cam cleat attached to the deck behind the splashboard to secure the halyard. The sail can then be raised as one sits down. :cool: (Or raised during a "controlled" fall...!) :confused:

The cam cleat also allows for fast and easy release when approaching shore. :) Remember to watch the upper spar as it comes down from above your head! :confused:

I've never owned a Sunfish, but I have owned a Phantom, a Scorpion and I now own a Viking.
The website says The Phantom was one of the most popular sailboats ever produced.
I'm not sure I believe that. The only thing I still use from the Phantom is the eye strap on the upper boom to hold the halyard

What used board boats other than Sunfish show up most in your area? Michigan seems
to be Scorpion and Porpoise . Anyone have a list of productions numbers for the most
common board boats? I remember something about the Scorpion at one time being allowed
to race in the Sunfish class.

What used board boats other than Sunfish show up most in your area? Michigan seems
to be Scorpion and Porpoise . Anyone have a list of productions numbers for the most
common board boats? I remember something about the Scorpion at one time being allowed
to race in the Sunfish class.
Better Late Than Never: You are right on with the free fall on water recreational. . One of the major problem with most water sports is retail prices...way way up. WAY OUT OF THE REACH OF NEWBEES.. $ 5,000 for a boat and no one to sail with or teach them to sail . . . . Couple that with the high retail prices for needed equipment and a generation that for a large part would rather sit on their ass with a computer instead of taking to the water.. and h ere in the Tampa area..home to a national Sunfish champion..you have to look long and hard to find a fish on the water..Wind Lasses excepted. . Bottom line: If fleet and dory sailing is to survive there must be a major effort made to interest the younger generation and the most logical place to start is the boat clubs which have to over come any snootry reputation they may have..deserved or not and purchase a fleet of boats for a training program. All boat manufactuers have fleet prices.The time to throw the industry a life preserver is over.

The Viking is a very close copy of the Sunfish, with only non-performance parts affected. DePersia bailers were installed as stock--for sure. Forgotten...:oops:...were the deck drains installed only on the port side?

Are you using the Phantom sail on the Viking?

There was a time that college grants were offered in the sailing sports; sadly, those opportunities seem to have passed. :(

Last edited:
I use a Sunfish sail on the Viking (but I'm using the Phantom spars). The DePersia bailer is the same design that was used on the Scorpion (the cap is not trheaded)

Back