Standing Up While Sailing

squash

I was racing in light air this weekend. In the middle of the second race, I stood up in the cockpit to see the wind better and to ease the cramps in my legs. The person sailing nearest to me said that it is illegal to sail while standing because of kinetics, and that people have been thrown out of races for doing so.

I am wondering if this is a Sunfish specific rule, or for all single-handers, or what? We stand in Lightnings all the time going down wind so I know it can't be a rule in all sailboats.

Any help on the specifics of this rule would be appreciated.

I don't know about the rule specifics, but it seems like if you are only standing up to stretch (and not "wiggling" the boat as Wavedancer says), then it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I was just doing the same thing on my last sail with lighter winds, I just stood up and sailed a while like that. FWIW, I hadn't ever even thought about trying it until I saw my brother-in-law do the same when he borrowed my Sunfish last summer. here is a screen-grab from the video I took the other weekend.
standupsailing.jpg

cheers,
tag

Perfectly legal to stand while sailing/racing as long as you don't use illegal movements to propel the boat.

Alan Glos

Completely illegal since standing on your head would necessitate some wiggling...

Reactions: tag
There is a 1000 foot channel x 100 that leads into the harbour where I sail and I often stand up on the way in as it rejuvenates the legs.

Minas man

I agree with standing to keep your legs from cramping... I'm 6', 230# (and 62), if I don't stand during (or at least between) races, I can hardly move the next day...

I have stood up in my Phantom, but during races, I don't. If the winds are light, I'll sit in the cockpit. I'm 5'3" and 125#, so I don't have much 'padding'. I stand up when I can 'cause the deck can be hard on the sitter.

Back