Stains on Hull

deantbrown

I sail on a fresh water inland lake. My 14.2 sits most of the week until the weekends when she's out helping me enjoy the water and the wind. My problem is that the water in the lake (it's fed by 2 fresh streams) has stained the hull and I can't find anything strong enough to get back the white I had.

Any ideas out there? Can I use bleech?

Help,
Dean

stains on gelcoat

I had the same problem with the brown stains on the side of my boat. I used the fiberglass stain remover gel from West Marine. This is great stuff. Nothing else would take off the stains but this removed them in a flash.

Good Luck
Roger Lohrey

Roger,
Thanks for the reply. As soon as the snow emergency has passed here on the east coast, I'll stop in to the West Marine and give this gel a try.
Dean

I've found the most effective product to be Soft Scrub, available in any grocery store. Unlike other scrubbers, such as Ajax, it will NOT scratch the gel coat.

Zing!

This stuff is acid. It will clean like you have never seen before. Wear gloves.

deantbrown said:
I sail on a fresh water inland lake. My 14.2 sits most of the week until the weekends when she's out helping me enjoy the water and the wind. My problem is that the water in the lake (it's fed by 2 fresh streams) has stained the hull and I can't find anything strong enough to get back the white I had.

Any ideas out there? Can I use bleech?

Help,
Dean

I had the same problem on Brookville lake in Indiana. Used straight muric acid and rinse immediately. Available in any Home Depot - used for cleaning bricks.
I used for several years with no bad affect to the hull.

Stains on Hull - Resolved

Thanks to Ed Jones, I found the Soft Scrub to work VERY well. I just spray it on, wait a few moments and it all wipes off to a clean hull.

Wow, what a product. Thanks for all the ideas and input. It's headed for 71 degrees here in Virginia this weekend and I'll be out cleaning the bottom of my Capri in preparation for a spring launch very soon.

Dean

Back