Spring Into Liquid Regatta - Fun times

Liquid Surf & Sail of Fort Walton Beach FL sponsored their 3rd (I think) Windsurfer and One Design spring regatta at Fort Walton yacht Club this past weekend. (see fwyc.org for results)

We had 17 lasers and a bit fewer wind surfers. The first day started out very foggy and stayed light all day, although race committee did an outstanding job getting 4 races in and while light the winds stayed pretty consistent in direction.

Day 2 started out with winds about 15kts, then in the 2nd race they died and by the third race were building again to 10-15 steady with some higher gusts, as the sea breeze filled in hard.

I rapidly found out that I just don't know anything about sailing a laser in any kind of winds and waves!! So now I know what I really want to work on at the Rick White laser Clinic in a couple weeks :) (we'll add it to the list of roll tacking, roll gybing, starts, s turns, sailing in waves ... which end goes first again )

We had a great turnout from Pensacola Yacht Club and as far away as Fairhope. One of their younguns (PYC) - Dodge Reese in a radial schooled us all.

Anyway if you are looking for a great place to come sail over spring break mark this regatta down - it seems to be turning into a regular thang as they say down here.

BTW this is a totally unofficial report -- so my thanks to both Liquid Surf & Sail and FWYC for putting on the racing. I for one had a great time !!

Back