Spacing Sail Slugs/Shackles

My-Ria

I am thinking about placing Sailrite sail slugs and screw-on plastic shackles along the sail bolt rope so I may store the sail on the boom and also facilitate raising/lowering the sail.

Is there a recommended spacing interval between the placement of the sail shackles/slugs?

Any lessons learned using this method?

Thanks

Rick

Sail Slugs versus Bolt Rope is a matter of preference , I have used both and lean towards the Bolt rope, Slugs eventually break and can be prone to jamming ( get the long ones ) . You will need some kind of mast gate to keep them from falling out if you are going to flake the sail on the boom.

My 14's boltrope was sprayed with SailKote and it slides up the mast like butter

SailRite should be able to advise you on spacing if you decide to go with the slugs.

Rob

C14.2 #1174

sail slugs

I stumbled upon an old posting 2 days that recommended adding the sail slugs and a sail stop to ease the raising and storage of the sail on the boom. Now that I am looking for it I can not locate again. It recommended the 3 parts to order from Sailrite, which I did, 2 days ago. I believe the posting may have mentioned a dimension, but now that I think of it he specificaly said to follow the instructions posted in the Sailrite catalog (which he recommeded you to order with the parts). My parts are due to be recieved in 1 or 2 days. I can let you know what it says in the Sailrite catalog.

sail slugs

I found it: from a July 2005 posting from VOMEGA:
I've also installed slugs and slides on the mainsail on 19" spacing. I used the shackles from Sail Brite that don't require grommets. The shackle hank snugs up against the bolt rope, which nicely distributes the stress. Avoiding grommets means you can easily go back to the bolt rope groove for racing.

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the replies and info.

This forum is a very valuable source of information.

Back