soft spots on deck

Billups

I am thinking about buying a 1973 Laser. The boat is in good shape except there are two softer spots (not real soft). One on each side of the cockpit on the deck near the inner edge of the cockpit. There are also 2 hairline cracks along the edge of the cockpit. When I press my thumb down on these spots I can depress the deck maybe a quarter of an inch and it makes a scrunchy noise. Is this a serious issue; can this be repaired and should I buy this boat? Thanks Bill

Bill,
One question you need to ask yourself is, is the boat a good deal and is there any alternative to get you sailing soon. Just because you buy it now doesn't mean you have to sail it forever, if a better one comes up you can buy it and sell this one. The hailine crack is probably just in the gelcoat and is nothing structural. You should be more concerned with the condition of the bottom of the hull and the spars.

Hope this helps

But get a guy who knows about GRP to look at the cockpit to make sure you dont go sailing and put your foot straight through.

Gelcoat cracks can be filled with gelcoat and sanded/polished to leave an unnoticable repair. You will be able to see am epoxy repair and any future buyer migh ask questions...

not if you paint over it carefully

i had a big ding in the bow, and so, i had it professionally done, and Vola, couldn't even see it any more

Only use epoxy on cracks that really need it. If it is a hairline crack then epoxy wouldn't be needed for such a small job. However, if water can get in through the crack and if it is noticable enough, go for the epoxy. I have used epoxy almost everywhere on the '74 laser i restored and you can't see a bit of it! Only on the deck could it be noticed where the grip is but if you have that patter grip as I do, repairing it will be no problem to make it look like new. Epoxy is my savior, plus I get it for free : )

Thank you all for your replies. I have used West Systems epoxy on my Hobie Cat, windsurfers and other toys that I have. I can't believe all the people who have replied. What a neat group. Happy sailing....

The preofessional bow ding repair was probably a gelcoat job. If you have a painted hull, you can use whatever you like as you can paint over and any repairs can't be seen. If your hull is unpainted, use the correct gelcoat for small cracks as a sure way of getting the perfect colour. The only point of repairing is to prevent water entry and for visual look of the boat. Gelcoat bonds better to gelcoat than epoxy does and guarentees the perfect colour. Also epoxy can be expensive in its runny form so the cheaper less viscous gelcoat is easier and more economical to use.

Well, gelcoat is pretty expensive too you know. We sell half a liter for around $25. Of course this is the Vanguard factory stuff so it shoulld be expensive. Another point I may add is that once a hull is faded then no paint or gelcoat could make it to its color before the damage happened.

For small repairs you need no where near 0.5litres. Gelcoat also fades quite slowly, compared to paint and sanding/polishing will blend the colour in.

Back