Small outboard motors on Capri 14.2

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by 4thbnnjvolCurassier, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Movingmen1

Movingmen1 New Member

Sorry, I meant to say, battery bracket. Don't know what I was thinking??

2. Russ and Jennifer

Russ and Jennifer Member

Kinda dark in my garage at the moment, but this should help. It uses the existing bolts that hold the rudder gudgeons on.
    P1030552.JPG P1030551.JPG

3. Movingmen1

Movingmen1 New Member

Thank you, that makes sense. Nice job.

4. Rick14.2

Rick14.2 New Member

Brand new to forum here, just purchased a sweet 14.2 mod 2. Looking at doing a trolling motor with your battery set-up. Looks from your pic like you have to unscrew the rudder mounts to get the battery out; how does that work? Also wondering how the battery does getting a little wet. Also, I am thinking about your ladder but a little reluctant to cut the access port required for strengthening the mounts in the transom. I notice you are from SW Oregon. I live in Waldport but will be sailing mostly on Crescent lake and other lakes in central Oregon. I like what you have done with your boat and wish I was a little more handy as I will have to have the battery mount fabricated by a sheet metal shop. I appreciate your postings and look forward to learning a lot on this forum.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  5. Russ and Jennifer

Russ and Jennifer Member

Two bolts must be removed in order to remove the battery, but I'd only do that if I was replacing it, as it gets charged in the boat, etc. the battery is sealed and waterproof/spill-proof etc. zero maintenance.
    Or you could just buy my boat from me ;) . I purchased another boat two days ago to replace the 14.2 and will be selling the 14.2 pretty soon. kinda hate to, as I've just gotten everything replaced or repaired. it even has both brand new sails that I ordered before deciding to buy a full keel boat, and it was to late to cancel the sail order. [shrug] that's life. We're getting too old to swim for our lives and the wife is too skinny after cancer recovery to provide much ballast, so I bought a Victoria 18 with full keel for when we day sail.

6. Rick14.2

Rick14.2 New Member

Russ, thanks for getting back to me so soon. Your boat for sale offer sounds great but I just bought one last week. In is about a 1991 and has been in two garages for just about its whole like. Everything is spanking new, not a mark on it, and sails are crisp; not bad for 25 years. I have not sailed in a few years but I have owned a Sunfish, a Windrider and a Hobie 16 so I am pretty well schooled in going over in various ways, especially with the Hobie. I am almost 65 but I have a few swims left in me. Hope you get your 14.2 sold and get what you want. I would love to talk about your 14.2 and learn from your knowledge you have gained in it's ownership. I too am a Survivor so wish your wife well for me. Take care, Rick

7. Russ and Jennifer

Russ and Jennifer Member

Thanks Rick. I'll still get messages on this forum even after I sell the 14.2, so if I can be of any assist just hollar away. always glad to help a fellow sailor if I can.

Two thumbs up for surviving.

8. Jeremy Becker

Jeremy Becker Camp Counsellor

I use a Torqueedo electric motor. The removable battery is built into the motor so no wires or mounting required. It has more than enough juice to get you where you need to go with it without wind.

9. Bdh333

Bdh333 New Member

I use a 30lb, Minn Kota electric motor, 12 volt battery whichisin the cubby and modified auto jumper cables to connect the two. Battery weight in the bow helps balance the boat. Bdh333

10. Bdh333

Bdh333 New Member

Re: ladder on Capri 14.2. There is no need to cut port holes, or access holes, in a Capri Inorder to add a ladder. It can be done by simply by bolting thru, using expanding foam, and bracing plates. The less holes the better, and the smaller holes the better.
    Bdh333

11. Phantom Driver

Phantom Driver New Member

Bdh333: how do you secure your battery in the cuddy? I've lost 2 batteries to capsizing so I want to not have to buy a fourth one :)

I've been thinking that with my Mod 2 boat, screwing in drawer slides and builing a custom drawer to slide in and out, that I can secure it and my anchor in. Plus hold fenders and so on...