Slot seal strips for swing keel

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by Charley Sheets, May 13, 2012.

1. kst

kst New Member

Bond,
    The newer version uses two pieces of sailcloth each of which is wide enough to go across the entire opening forming a double barrier against spray. If your plastic retainer strip which the screws go through is removable and in tact you can order the newer kit from Catalina Direct. Note that it is for the newer 14.2 boat but, you can use the sailcloth pieces and your own retainer strip to effect a replacement. The 14.2 boat uses a different hole pattern for the screws but it won't matter since you're not using it's retainer anyway. Currently it is on a 3-week back-order status.

2. Charley Sheets

Charley Sheets Member

The material that covers the slots is some sort of plastic material that is flexible and is finished with a cloth looking finish. All of the parts come in a flat box coiled up like a belt, even the plastic retainer strips. Un-roll everything and lay in sunshine and it flattens out perfectly. The screws will go right through the retainer, plastic strips and through the fiberglass at the same time. Caution should be used because if a screw strips out from over-tightning it could leak a little because the screws go through into the interior of the hull. Use plenty of good caulk. I have only been in wind strong enough for 5.5 knots. The water in the slot was almost smooth. The water was not even close to coming out of the slot. I was able to tell if the boat was level by the water level in the slot. I will be out several days this week, staying aboard my Cat 25 to re-finish some wood and will have the Capri tied alongside for some quick response to wind on the lake. More later. Charley

3. Charley Sheets

Charley Sheets Member

The material that covers the slots is some sort of plastic material that is flexible and is finished with a cloth looking finish. All of the parts come in a flat box coiled up like a belt, even the plastic retainer strips. Un-roll everything and lay in sunshine and it flattens out perfectly. The screws will go right through the retainer, plastic strips and through the fiberglass at the same time. Caution should be used because if a screw strips out from over-tightning it could leak a little because the screws go through into the interior of the hull. Use plenty of good caulk. I have only been in wind strong enough for 5.5 knots. The water in the slot was almost smooth. The water was not even close to coming out of the slot. I was able to tell if the boat was level by the water level in the slot. I will be out several days this week, staying aboard my Cat 25 to re-finish some wood and will have the Capri tied alongside for some quick response to wind on the lake. More later. Charley

4. Bond

Bond Member

Thanks Charley. So I assume this new upgrade would stop water gushing in through the slot. I called Catalina Direct yesterday and they said 3 weeks back order and I called them 2 weeks ago and they still said the same. Do you think I can order them directly from Catalina Yachts?

5. Charley Sheets

Charley Sheets Member

Yes. The same parts should be available from Catalina parts. The part numbers should also be the same. I have not personally ordered from Catalina, but please give us the web address etc. so all can have a few more options. Time is valuable to seasonal sailors like me. I cant tolerate cold water. This is when i start on my to doo list which also has some time constraints, like with gelcoat repair. Sail repairs/conversions are ok any time the weather is cold. The rest of the time is dreaming time. Charley

6. Charley Sheets

Charley Sheets Member

UPDATE> I spent several days on the lake last week while staying aboard my cat 25. Was able to sail each day, though not much wind. There was s Hobie with jib zipping around but tried to follow me into the harbor but stalled out and had to be towed to keep off the rocks. Everyone knows better than to try manuvering with little wind in a cat, or they should know better than try to sail with a Capri in close quarters. Just had to tell this story. However, when loading the boat on trailer , she twisted slightly while coming aboard the bunks, and the center roller on the trailer pushed one of the slot seals out of alignment. No damage done after lifting the boat with a piece of 2x4 under the stern. I then cranked the tongue jack up and lifted up just right to let the strip lay out flat. I will watch out for this in the future. Just figured yall might like to know. Charley

7. c14_Jim

c14_Jim Sailing on Shelter Bay

I constructed a home made Barney Post for my O-14 so as to raise the mainsheet cleat off the floor. Since it is open in front and enclosed on three sides it also stops water coming in from the slot. It builds up in there a little and then drains back out the slot. So I got an added benefit. I used to put a long wood plug in the top of the slot when the board was down, but it was a hassle. Homemade Barney Post.jpg

8. dnthewind

dnthewind Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Charley Sheets

Charley Sheets Member

This is really great. It should solve the battery mounting problem quite well. I wish the P.O. of my boat had tried these instead of putting the battery in the forward storage locker. The fiberglass repairs are plenty solid and are out of sight. The thin layer of glass will NOT support a battery, especially while trailering the boat. Just FYI. Charley

10. chezmoustash

chezmoustash New Member

as for the centerboard seal, I just couldn't justify the 40 bucks for the new seal and only use the seal part... so instead went to my local home depot(magical place full of wonder and useful items) and spent 5 bucks on a 1'X5' sheet of shower liner(rubbery plastic) and sliced a couple inch and a half strips to make my own seal. I've had my boat out twice now and had a blast both times. Today I took two of my friends from work and we had enough wind to have all three of us on one side and two of us hiked out, not even a dribble from the centerboard cutout! then we anchored up and took a swim for a bit, climbed back into the boat, which was more than stable enough for any of us to climb over the side without any support on the other(very pleased about that, now I can single hand and take breaks to swim!)