Skipper Js latest race report

Skipper Johnson

Future Laser Olympics champion shares his latest race report.

The two-edged sword. Being a bumbling fool on the water, crashing into competitors, almost sinking the boat, upsetting the commodore and generally stuffing up has a positive. It means writing race reports is midly interesting because everyone can read them and think, Geez compared to that clot, maybe I'm not so bad after all.

But what if I became partly competent? Sure, it would mean the other club members would stop laughing at me but my race reports would become mundane.

Well my friends, last Saturday was either an abberation or the changing of the guard because I think I sailed a vaguely competent race.

First – the start line

Looking at the line I thought Port tack was favoured. But I had a dilemma - all the other boats looked like they were going to start on Starboard tack. This meant two things (1) I was assuming I knew more about starting than them (2) If I did go one out and start on Port tack, once all the boats meet I would have to give way to all of them.

I thought, stuff ‘em. I’m starting on Port, they can go to blazes.

At the gun
So the gun goes off. And I am heading to the fleet and they are heading at me. If I don’t sail across them Im going to have to sail behind the whole fleet. The commodore sails across and I have to sail behind her. As I go behind her she says “someone’s on a suicide mission”. Okkaaay. I may have made the wrong decision. As it turns out, I pass in front of the rest of the fleet. 2 minutes in and I’m 50 yards in front!

I actually led up the first leg and just got pipped at the first buoy by the commodore (who sails a faster catamaran so moral victory to me). I felt like yelling out suck on that suicide lady.

At the finish
I cross the line 4th (3rd in my division) and beat the commode in her cat!

So to tomorrow , can I back up this or was it a fluke? I will be as interested myself to find out.

You must have had the biggest grin :) on your face as you crossed the line (ahead of the commodore)

hey sounds funny, but what kind of race were you doing in a mixed fleet? whever your from doesnt have other lasers or what?

Back