shroud question

skysurfer3

I bought my 14.2 and I think the original changed some stuff. I am curious about the shroud adjustments. Does the original boat have just one clevis pin with a cotter ring?

Does anyone use multiple clevis pins for added strength?

How about a "fast pin" instead of a clevis pin? The reason I ask is the cotter ring looks pretty wimpy and seems it could thrashed fairly easily. And there is only one clevis pin per side.

Thanks,

Michael

Shorud clevis pin

Actually, there are two clevis pins per side, one to fasten the adjuster plate to the boat and one to attach it to the shroud. I agree that some rings are wimpy, so check yours frequently and/or replace it with a bigger one.

I can't visualize how you could use multiple clevis pins. For example, there's only the single loop at the end of the shroud, so the question doesn't make sense to me.

I don't recommend using "fast pins."

Once you get your rig setting where you want , take some rigging tape and tape around the pin and ring. Its easy and helps insure things stay in place.

I also suggest putting the clevis pins in from the outside of the boat and having the cotter rings on the inside. I had the rings on the outside and they snagged the jib sheet in the middle of a tack. That can get exciting when you're single-handling!

Back