Showing off my refinished 79 Sunfish

Just curious, but does your Sunfish have a tiller extension? If so, is it long enough?

2213.jpg

The Porpoise II clonefish had a clever answer to the Sunfish's "untamed tiller". They'd placed a medium-sized clip just a few inches inboard of the transom. Attaching the mainsheet to the clip meant you could always bring the tiller back within reach by pulling on the mainsheet. (Although in the photo below, a make-shift traveler is being used, and the clip [arrow] is not).
Picasa 3 5312015 10231 PM-001.jpg

The Porpoise II clonefish had a clever answer to the Sunfish's "untamed tiller". They'd placed a medium-sized clip just a few inches inboard of the transom. Attaching the mainsheet to the clip meant you could always bring the tiller back within reach by pulling on the mainsheet. (Although in the photo below, a make-shift traveler is being used, and the clip [arrow] is not).View attachment 17505
Not sure the exact length of my tiller but I do know that it was the stock tiller until I cut it down by about 6 inches. I wanted to be able to sit at the back of the cockpit and not interfere with the tiller so I shortened it. Over the winter I added the tiller extension which doubles the length of the tiller. I like the solution you mention on the Porpoise. Shows that it is an issue others have thought of. I still haven't had a chance to try out my new rigging. We have had one wet June so far. I am heading to Pymatuning Lake tomorrow to check out the Pymatuning Sail Club. Hoping for good wind and weather!

Well Brian, you're certainly pushing lots of envelopes with your Sunfish and it's obviously a labor of love and fascination. Everybody likes different things even though we might not be as inventive as you. For me, the beauty of the Sunfish is in its simplicity and functionality with everything you need and nothing that you don't. I fear that were I to have your wonderful things, I'd be worrying more about getting them wet than enjoying the sailing itself. Have fun!

Back