Show off YOUR Laser!

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by laserz, Oct 4, 2009.

1. simmgr8

simmgr8 New Member

This is me sailing in Halifax Harbor last summer, lot of fun surfing the wake of the crash boat.

Attached Files:

2. pez

pez Member

Thanks for posting these, hilarious, awesome shots...

3. simmgr8

simmgr8 New Member

Yeah, my coach was laughing his ass off the whole time.

4. PiersHS

PiersHS Member

Seems like you have a mainsheet jammer. Are these any good as I find the deck cleats annoying... Also any recomendations?

P.S atm I'm just using my hands instead of cleats to hang on- gets a bit annoying when you need to adjust bits and peices!

5. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

The set-up in the photo posted by dwb is quite unusual. Just go with a simple (ratchet) block. The Harken block you showed in another post is fine, IMHO.

:) But if you want to stimulate the economy, go ahead and buy another one:)

6. torrid

torrid Just sailing

I've never seen a Laser with a cleat AT the main rachet block. On the side of the boat yes, but not right at the block. Is it legal?

For the record, I think the best place to put a mainsheet block is in your toolbox.

7. laserxd

laserxd Member

I don't think you're allowed to have a cleated main sheet block although I think it would hurt more than it would help. I just switched over to a ronstan 60mm, its much smoother than the old school harken making it easier to sheet in quickly, when you're sailing 5+ races a day in medium to high wind it saves you alot of energy having smoothly opperating blocks.

8. PiersHS

PiersHS Member

Apperntly the mainsheet jammer is legal, but I wont be buying one if it isn't really any good....

9. tackho

tackho New Member

Just "hanging out".

Attached Files:

10. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

My lasers over the years (haven't got any pics of 140871 online)

Attached Files:

11. nesdog

nesdog Member

I used to run a mainsheet cleat like that years ago with my first Laser. Helped to take a lot of pressure off the hands. The downside to it was when fully hiked out, I couldn't always maintain a good angle on the line, would get hit with a gust of wind and swimming, swimming.......

I don't run that set up with my current boat.

12. Eric Schwing

Eric Schwing 64700

My '78

Attached Files:

13. PiersHS

PiersHS Member

Intresting setup there- kicker, deck cleats etc.... Nice to see old lasers going though. Mines a '88 and the oldest I know of is a '68!

14. 132711

132711 Member

that boat looks perfect! did you have it painted? or just imaculate care?

15. simmgr8

simmgr8 New Member

Yeah, I just sold my 75.

16. dredies

dredies Member

Wow! From what I've read, there were only two boats produced prior to 1970, both quite different from what became the first real Laser in 1970. The first had no core in its laminate and weighed only 109 lbs. The second had a slot cut in the deck so the mast could be moved back and forth and the rake altered for rig testing. If the boat you saw really is a '68, it would have to be one of these two boats.

17. Eric Schwing

Eric Schwing 64700

Thanks, 132. Here's a couple more pics and a 'before.' Can you I.D. the boat in the foreground? They're hard to come by.

I painted it myself, using cans of spray paint (!)... Krylon Fusion, 'specially formulated to bond to plastic' topped with UV resistant clear coat. Krylon seemed to holds up well on my daggerboard, so I decided what the hell.

The results exceeded my wildest hopes. The pictures don't really do it justice. In the water the reflections look almost like yellow flames flowing across the hull. Spectacular! I'll try to get a video.

Attached Files:

18. 132711

132711 Member

how long ago, i mean how well does it hold up? looks real nice though. looks new!

looks like a neat boat in the foreground too, no idea what it is

19. Eric Schwing

Eric Schwing 64700

I did it over the winter. It's only been in the water once, so far. I managed to hit some rip-rap while launching with no damage to the paint, though.
    I have concerns about how well it will hold up too. I know it will be more fragile than gel coat. Scratch repairs should be easy, though; just get out the can of spray paint.

I'll let you know how well it hods up at the end of the season. I figure if it really was a bad idea, I get to spend another winter sanding. Hopefully, not.

I really don't expect flaking or peeling, based on my experience with the daggerboard, but time will tell. Also, I'm hoping the UV resistant clear coat will help.

The white boat is a Laser II. Never very popular in the U.S. but very fun. Spinnaker and trapeze. It's an '81. We're hoping to race it in the Leukemia Cup regatta on Memorial weekend. I get to ride the trap! Have some fun and raise a little $ for a good cause.

20. mjbhawg

mjbhawg Member

A 93 STD, saiking Gtown, SC Harbour