Should I buy a C14?

sk8marie

I used to do a lot of sailing as a kid and now that my kids fell head over heels in love with sailing last summer, I'm feeling a little left out. I've been borrowing a C14 from the club, keeping my kids company in their Sabots but I thought it might be fun to buy a boat and get back into racing. I just don't know what boats to consider. The C14's are rather slow but they're simple to sail and can accommodate all four of us for an afternoon sail or just me an one of my sons for a race. The other question I have is that I haven't seen much 14-ft racing activity around Long Beach, where we sail from. Are these classes primarily raced only in Marina del Rey and San Diego? Any thoughts about Lido 14's? I keep eyeing Lasers but that defeats the whole family idea. Any advice would be appeciated! Thanks!

I don't know what the clubs over there are doing, but here in Texas we have an active PRHF circuit. I race my Capri 14.2 against all types and lengths of boats, and the handicaps help even up the differences.

Here is a list of boats in our group:

Buccaneer 18
Mutineer 15
Coronado 15
JY 15
Vanguard 15
Pirateer
Dolphin Sr.
Harpoon 5.2
Flying Scot
Galilee
Force 5
Windmill
Precision 185
Hunter 170
MC Scow
Finn
Flying Dutchman
Albacore
Capri 14.2
Sweet 16

More info: http://www.texascenterboard.org/

Perhaps there is a program like this out by you.

(By the way, the Capri may be slower than some boats, but it is still a lot of fun to sail!)

Dave

There are active C-14 racing fleets in Marina del Rey and San Diego. Marina Del Rey, being so close to the Catalina factory, is really the home harbor, so to say, of the C-14. The only clubs on Alamitos Bay that have Capri 14.2s are yours(the City of Long Beach), and the CSULB Sailing Association. There is one other C14 on the bay that I know of. It is in a slip on the SW side of Naples island. All have bottom paint for obvious reasons.

If you are up to driving to Marina Del Rey with a C14, I would highly encourage entering in the Sunstroke series. They are thursday evening races with starts for C14s, Coronado 15s, and a few other types. I plan on trailering my C-15 up there for a few races.

From the practical side of things, C14s are fairly resilient boats that last a while if the owner puts a little care into their maintenance and operation. They are also family friendly, having a minumum of "boat bite" producing edges and fittings, in addition to their simplicity and stability. As you know, they are also easy to singlehand, having only three things to manage, unless you use whisker poles for running.

Good luck. ;)

First let me say I think the C14.2 is a nice family daysailor for a dinghy. Nice rolled decks, no centerboard trunk to bang into, easy to set up and sail. You can single hand it and for a parent with a child to race or sail its a good boat. I got my family into sailing and racing with a C14.2. my sons why 6 or 7 and it was perfect. We sail in Mission Bay so there is a strong fleet to race with.

With that said, go to the different yacht clubs that sail in Long Beach and find out what small boats they race. Its more fun to race in a one design fleet vs some type of rating system if you can. There's a fleet at Lake Mission Veijo too that races C14.2s. Lidos are ok but opt for a late model boat if you go that route because they have a cleaner layout. Vangard 15 is the double hander that would be cool but less of a family daysailer and more racer. V15s are great to sail and will plane up and down wind in some wind. Good luck.

Back