sharpen your blades!?!

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by WestCoast, Apr 4, 2006.

1. computeroman2

computeroman2 Member

sorry for hijacking the thread westcoast. How are the blades coming?

2. knot_moving

knot_moving Member

The next picture
    http://paigerailey.com/html/pictures/ClarkMills/Original%20Files/Clark%20Mills%20Regatta-laser%20&%20420s%20054.jpg
    shows some pretty good ways to head up - ie tiller down slightly, sail being trimmed in, and a little harder to see, she is leaning back with her shoulders and using her back foot to help push the boat up.[/quote]

Her traveler is a surprise to me. I thought the prevailing wisdom was to keep it as tight as you could pretty much all the time. She seems to have it way off. Is this typical for hte start or is it maybe a function of what looks like relatively light winds?

3. computeroman2

computeroman2 Member

yes, it lets you get the boom in more without bending the mast. only light winds though, and only a little loose. I guess that's obvious in the picture.

4. TimClark

TimClark New Member

Well, her cunningham doesn't go down to the vang, isntead it is in the tape on the mast.

5. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Yup, that's the one that had me thinking.

I see at least three other changes. Anybody else pick them up ?

6. TimClark

TimClark New Member

Something seems wierd to me with the vang, the white line on the vang seems to go down to the bottom of the casing of the vang, otherwise I don't see much else wrong with the boat.

Tim

7. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

1. Cunningham purchase is reduced to 6-1
    2. Vang purchase is reduced to 12-1
    3. Top block on vang has been replaced.

I found the the lower part of the cunningham purchased being tied off on the mast the most interesting. It allows a little more throw in the system.

8. WestCoast

WestCoast New Member

tieing the cunningham there is something that the Euro sailors do more often than the USA guys.

it's detailed in that XD powerpack rigging guide. Kind of a weird looking set up, never tried it, but obviously they wouldn't use it if it didn't work out ... *shrug*

9. odinsvitskjaldr

odinsvitskjaldr Member

XD powerpack rigging guide? where is that found?

10. LPW

LPW New Member

11. TimClark

TimClark New Member

I like the idea of reducing the purchase on the cunningham, it must be easier to ease off when you are going down the downwind leg...I might try it out next weekend and see how it goes.

tim

12. rock steady

rock steady New Member

Good observation. I love it when people display photos at this resolution on the net.

How is the lower cunningham tie off done?

This is from the XD instructions, I'm not sure if it would produce the same result.

[​IMG]

13. Georg W.F.

Georg W.F. Member

Concerning the cunningham: what is the effect of rigging it in this way? Obviously the sail will be pulled a little more forward, instead of straight down. But how does that change the shape of the sail?

Concerning the blades: I do not think the pictures show blades that are as sharp as a knife. Sure, she has faired the edges, but probably there is still some thickness. There are some controversies about what would be faster: a sharp blade or a blade that is squared off at the trailing edge. It has been suggested by some experts that it does not make a difference. Any thoughts?

14. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

If it's not that exact tie off, it's got to be close, and the tape around it looks like it just keeps it from shifting...

I don't think that arrangment pulls the cunningham forward much at all, since one part of the purchase still has to go to the block on the deck. When I orignally looked at it, that's what I was thinking the reasoning was, but now I think it's all about adding a little more throw to the system.

15. rock steady

rock steady New Member

This is the Railey Block:

[​IMG]

It looks like it is held forward some how? Perhaps with the tail end of a bowline, I doubt the tape would have the ability to hold it.

16. TimClark

TimClark New Member

She could have just wrapped the line around the mast so that it would come to about halfway around, the tape could probably hold it if its a strong enough kind.

Tim

17. Tom

Tom New Member

I sharpened my blades it it totally owns liek hardcore ya'll!

18. Braecrest

Braecrest Member

do whatever you want to the boat, here and there, it won't make one bit of differance when you screw up the start, get caught in traffic at the mark, or otherwise really mess up. 1/1000th of a knot extra does you little good if you can't sail well to begin with, or if you depend on your boat to win the race for you. I sail a laser, and could care less about getting the last little ounce of performance out of everything, once I can sail a PERFECT race, then I worry about the LITTLE things...

19. rock steady

rock steady New Member

Yes. But when you are stuck in front of a computer it's fun to think about the little things.

20. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

It would be against the rules to use tape to hold a line in a new position. "Creating a fitting" with tape is prohibited.