Scorpion sailboat

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by DOUG142, Mar 8, 2009.

1. DOUG142

DOUG142 New Member

Found a brand new 1975 Scorpion sailboat that had never been in the water till I launched it this past Fall. Wonderful, beautiful boat. See pics in my album posted here. Anyone have info on this boat??? I emailed Pargo and Ruddick who made it.
    Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks, Happy Sailing:)
  2. mike4947

mike4947 Member

My FIL had one back in the 70's. They were made by North Carolina Car Company until about the year of your boat.
    A little history. Back when it came out they used a sail with more draft the the original Sunfish sail and started beating the pants off of the fish. The following year Alcort had a new sail designed with more draft and that put the Scorpions at the back of the fleet.
  3. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

I'd be interested to hear what you get for a reply from Pargo and Ruddick. All I have found in my research is a Ruddick, holding company for a grocery store chain and a sewing thread manufacturer these days. Then again, EDO Western, today a producer of electro-ceramic search & navigation sonar devices, once made a Sunfish style boat so you never know.

There is a copy of the original, albeit brief, set up instruction and parts list posted at Yahoo! Groups, Sunfish_Sailor.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor
  4. DOUG142

DOUG142 New Member

mIKE AND wAYNE,
    tHANKS for the info. I did go to the yahoo sunfish site and got the parts manual and more pics. Thanks.

Geo Smith the founder of Pargo Died at the ripe old age of 95+ Oct 2007. So No info there. His wife , who is also up in years remembers the name Scorpion but that is all.

Scorpion , was made by the Pargo Golf car company, owned later by Ruddick who in turn was bought out , at least this part by Textron moved stuff from Charlotte, NC to Dallas and later to Augusta, GA

People are correct in stating that the Columbia Car co. made the Scorpion. The
    Pargo was originally made by CCC. Named after Columbia County, GA

All rights to Pargo Golf car now belong to E-Z-GO Golf car Co.

This is all I have been able to find out.
    If anyone wants new pics of a Scorpion I have mine. Errrrr its 33 years old, but brand new!!! Wow.
    Thanks,
    Doug:)
  5. dammitbob74

dammitbob74 New Member

Doug- I've been missing the hull drain plug on my scorpion for a while now. Can you send a pic of what the original hull drail plug looks like with some measurements?
  6. DOUG142

DOUG142 New Member

I uncovered the Scorpion and took some pics of the HULL drain plug not the cockpit plug...right? It measures at 7/8 inch at the end with the ball link chain and outer thread to outer thread is 1 inch. I can see how people loose these... the chain is fastnened into the plug somehow and there is a little thin wire keeper inside the hull on the other end of the chain. Hope my pics come thru...

The drain is located on Starboard side right under the deck lip about mid ways down the side length.

Attached Files:

7. dammitbob74

dammitbob74 New Member

Thanks much. I think with that info I can get a replacement made. I had never seen the right one, just the bolt that my dad had put in it so many years ago that never fit right.
  8. Fastnet79

Fastnet79 New Member

Doug,

Love your boat, I grew up sailing a Green and White Scorpion since I was 4 years old on Lake Michigan, South Bend Idianna. My neighbor had the exact same color boat you have now. I'm now 43 :) If you can e-mail me direct about your boat at chip.zenke@gmail.com that would be wonderful -

Cheers,

Chip
  9. tag

tag my2fish

Where can I find your album with the pics?

I love the black and orange colors - I looked at a used scorpion probably 5 or 6 years ago that color, but didn't buy it.

tag
  10. Lake Wylie

Lake Wylie New Member

Have older Scorpion sailboat...where can we purchase replacement parts...in particular, need rudder hardwear especially clip that mounts to stern that holds rudder.
  11. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

I hate to say this, but Scorpion's builder left the boat building business long long ago.

Many small parts are simply hardware store or boat shop items not specific to any boat.

Those parts that are unique would need to come as used parts from somewhere ?? or you would have to fabricate a replacement.

Doug (this thread's post #1) has started a Scorpion owner's group. You should sign up and browse around the web site. There are pictures there of all the parts.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scorpionsailboats

Worse comes to worse, ask another owner to sketch and dimension the part you need so you can make one.
  12. scorpion4ever

scorpion4ever New Member

Most parts can be picked up from (swallow hard) Sunfish suppliers. We found that Sunfish Direct is great and reasonably priced. Bought a 1970 when I was 15 and used it my whole life until I had to store it ten years on a farm while we lived in DC which led to holes, decay in wood, etc. When my son was 15, we moved it 400 miles to where we now live and separated the deck from the hull, re-foamed the interior and did some fiberglass work. Got all parts and foam from Sunfish Direct. Now we have a nearly new looking boat (had to paint as the gel would have taken years to redo). Just met someone at a reception last week in the Southwest and they had a Scorpion as well. Pargo is gone but Scorpions live on! Hull is black; deck white; sail orange and black.
  13. Selenaserval

Selenaserval New Member

Wow, nice Scorpion Doug!
  14. Scorpion1969

Scorpion1969 New Member

I have a scorpion sailboat I bought new as a kid. Doing newspapers, making $5-$7 a week. It took me 2 years to save the $478. to buy it. I left it on a mooring on a lake. Someone helped themselves to my boat and when they were fininshed, they left it on the beach. The waves helped punch a hole in the bow. I took it to a corvette repair shop, and told them to make sure they used fiberglass cloth. When I got the boat back, it looked new except for the Pin stripe along the hull was missing. The following year, it was back on the mooring, minus the daggerboard and rudder. During the summer, the boat seemed to be getting sluggish. At the end of the year, I needed help from 5 friends to car top my boat. I used to do it by myself. It even bent my roof rack. I noticed a crack where the hole had been fixed. When I got home I sanded around the crack. Powder fell out. They had used plastic!. The foam inside is waterlogged. I couldn't figure out how to seperate the hull from the deck. Please tell me how?. I couldn't get rid of the boat since it took me so long to work for it. Scorpion1969
  15. baseman

baseman On the Water

Scorpion1969. I think your best approach is to cut a couple of inspection ports in the deck, one fore and one aft, and see if you can dry it out. Seperating the deck from the hull is not an easy task.
  16. mike4947

mike4947 Member

I have to agree with Baseman. Like with a Sunfish attempting to remove the deck from the hull usually ends up destroying the boat. There are way too many internal connections between them. Foam to both deck and hull and the cockpit base to the hull. First step is to set the boat on edge with the deck drain plug down and drain any loose water. Then go for the two inspection ports one between the raised splash shield and the center board opening and the other centered on the rear deck near the stern.
    Myself I prefer 6" ports for ease of entry into the hull. leave the actual ports off until you finish drying as the extra room helps reach around inside the hull for any other repairs you might find/need.
    I've used a vacuum cleaner/shop vac on exhaust in one port to force air through the hull to speed up the drying process.
    I've found some boats heavily water logged can take several months for the water to migrate out of the foam blocks. A good winter project as long as you have space where it can be kept above freezing.
  17. ChrisC551265

ChrisC551265 New Member

Hey I just bought a scorpion, it did come with a mast and I don't know how tall the mass needs to be or where to buy one? Also, my other question is if I want to get a new sail will a sunfish sail work, or will I lose a lot of speed. What should I do?
  18. Selenaserval

Selenaserval New Member

The sails are interchangeable between the Sunfish and Scorpion. Be sure to check E-Bay for sails, I see them all the time. You can do a search in your area, and might find one sometime. Although shipping may not be reasonable when the mast and spars are not included. Good luck with your search~
  19. Selenaserval

Selenaserval New Member

Is your mast 122 inches long?
  20. Selenaserval

Selenaserval New Member

I meant to say that the shipping would be more reasonable if it is only for the sail. Sorry for the typo!