Save it or strip it?

Elmo Graniteguy

I just rescued a 1978 J24 from the crusher. It has many deep hull blisters below the waterline, the floor core is rotted out, and the keel fiberglass has de-laminated. She may have frozen with water in the bilge.

It has one main, jib, and spinnaker sail, and a single axle trailer. Otherwise it looks to be complete.

Should I try to restore her or should I part her out?

Well, I have had nearly 100 people look at this post and no one has given me a reply. I am disappointed. Upon further inspection of this boat, I have found that most of the balsa core is beyond help. I guess I will have to take her apart and try to sell the pieces. Too bad. She would have been nice to catch her before she was so mistreated. Look for my add in the parts for sale section.

Cut the emotional tie to the boat and look for a new one. It will not pencil out financially. You will get frustrated when the boat is still dry docked next summer and give up all together. Sadly some things must die. Your idea of parting out the boat is the best option.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I now plan to part her out and donate the hull to the local fire department for boat fire training. She will go down like a Viking funeral ship.

Thanks for the input. I now plan to part her out and donate the hull to the local fire department for boat fire training. She will go down like a Viking funeral ship.
I just I have signed on to this website and saw your post from a while ago. I'm assuming it's gone? I'm looking for a foredeck hatch cover of that vintage. Sorry for you loss.

You may want to consider a public or private playground for your donation. I have donated a couple of boats over the years and they have sailed the seas seven seas as noble fighting vessels as well as ventures to countless deserted islands - in the wonderful minds of children. The boat may be too complicated for the taste of many parks... Good luck!

Well, I have had nearly 100 people look at this post and no one has given me a reply. I am disappointed. Upon further inspection of this boat, I have found that most of the balsa core is beyond help. I guess I will have to take her apart and try to sell the pieces. Too bad. She would have been nice to catch her before she was so mistreated. Look for my add in the parts for sale section.
Sorry to hear about your dreams going down the tubes. My experience has been that even small hull repairs can be a big pain. I have a '79 J24 and am looking for an old style companionway hatch slide if you have one to sell.
best of luck,
Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an extra J 24 in my drive way. bought it off craiglist cheap and it needs a lot of love. will cut it up and sell the lead. Problem is you can invest 10,000 $ in Materials and labor hours and still end up with a boat you could have bought for 5,000$. Spend your time at work doing whatever you do best and buy a decent boat, find some enthusiastic crew and get out on the race course

Back