sandblasting my hull?

g1gaumond

So the season is coming to an end, for us up here in the north, went out at 12C with 15knots last week-end and had a great time!:) sadly enough, forecast for the week-end even colder, I don't care how many layers you put on...it gets cold quick out there. So it 's time to get the Laser ready for winter, the number of boats in the club yard is thinning quickly.

Oh yes, my sadness, :( almost made me forget my subject, Sandblasting my hull; as the Laser sat lonely in its corner of the yard, all other Laser having already bailed, a wind storm (up to 90-100km/hr) kicked up last week. Our club lot for dinghies is all sand.

After the strom I go and check things out, the Laser sitting on its transport trailer, which has sand up and over its tires, sand had found itself everywhere, even up to 1 1/2" in the trailer, despite having little or no opening to get in!

After checking things out, found that the trailer side exposed to the wind had been sandblasted, someplaces up to bare metal!

Then I noticed that the hull on the exposed side of the wind, had also taken a beating, it looked dull, I thought it was just dirty from the dust but no, it also been sandblasted:eek:! I know, I know, don't say it: "dude, you don't have a hull cover, duh?":cool: I will now.

It is simply amazing to see how much damage the sand can do when carried by such wind! The hull went from it shinny self to a dull looking surface, don't think sanding with wet sandpaper etc, will give it its original shine back, but I know I got myself a new winter project!

Fair wind, but wihtout sand!

G

As long as the gelcoat is not completely gone, you can bring it back to it's original shine. If it's somewhat pitted, longboard it smooth first, and depending on the roughness working up through the various grits till 800 or 1000 grit - from there, I go to machine compounding and then machine polishing

Back