San Francisco to East Coast dinghy move

Discussion in 'Sailing Talk' started by stinger, Mar 4, 2011.

1. stinger

stinger Member

DOes anyone have any idea on how to move a dinghy from San Francisco to the northeast US?
    Cheers
    J

2. tag

tag my2fish

overnight, by rail, across the country? ... there's .

just kidding... are you moving anything else? driving yourself? that is a long long way to trailer a boat, though. if you're moving, you could probably fit it in the back of a U-haul truck with your other belongings.

otherwise, I'd be afraid to see freight charges to ship something as large as a dinghy sailboat.

good luck,
    tag

3. stinger

stinger Member

I was offered a great boat but it's cross country from me..... I'm hoping I can find some space from someone who's trailering some lasers or other dinghies while they are campaigning and coming back towards mid to eastern states. I don't want to see the freight charges either:)

4. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Perhaps you can find somebody from the East Coast attending a major regatta in the Bay area to take your boat with him/her on the return trip.

I don't know what your time frame is, but the Laser Worlds (Masters and youth), to be sailed on the SF Bay, are coming up later this year.

5. stinger

stinger Member

That's a great idea. I'll email around. Do you know of any teams doing the trek?