Sails...I'm going THERE again...

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by Rob B, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

So I'm looking at Andy Campbell's website and the stuff he has for sale. Interesting they are ALL sails. One with only 1 regatta on it and like 20 practice days. Others with no more than 3 regattas on them. So, basically our sails are good for 1 MONTH of racing and practice when you are at the top of your game?

I guess the 3 regatta sails had better cuts and the 1 regatta sail either really STUNK or it blew the dog off the chain for the whole regatta.

Come on! Let's get a longer lasting sail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

2. mlemieux1978

mlemieux1978 New Member

One might make the argument that we are not all Andy Campbell, but really you are correct, these sails don't last like they should. Its not as though Dacron is a new, experimantal product or something. When I fork over 550 for a new sail, I think it should last me at least 2 summers w/o making me wish for a new one. North is doing the same thing in all the other one designs as well. Imagine what its like to have to buy new sails for your J24 every other month. I think the class should shop around a bit when it picks its supplier. Since they are all the same, why not go budget and hire Neil Pryde? All the sails are lasercut and assembled in China any way. (at least i think so)

3. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Not that the quality of Laser sails is up to snuff, but I don't think he's a good yardstick to measure with. Somebody at his level will buy a new sail for every regatta regardless of use/quality/cost.

4. Kratos

Kratos Member

This is true. When you're not paying for the sails, one every regatta is the way it goes.

Maybe two regattas per sail max depending on conditions.

This way, you always have a training sail that is fresh and close to that with which you are racing.

Although the difference is minimal, training with a bed sheet and then racing with a new, crisp sail could throw you off/make your sail control settings that little bit different.

I'll use a sail generally for about 3, maybe 4 regattas.

5. mlemieux1978

mlemieux1978 New Member

Shatty,

how many events do you do a year? I guess It's not too bad compared to my ski season passes at 2 hills, but not when you count in the cost of belonging to a club. Say you do your 3 regattas a year and you pay 500 for club dues. That kicks your sailing budget over a grand, plus traveling expenses. The laser GP here in district 7 is 5 events, plus there are several open events. I figure an active 30 something sailor like myself could do 6 or 7 events. To be competitve according to you i need 2 sails a season. I don't think thats right. I also sail on a Cookson 50. Its a $500k per year program but even with that kind of expense account they don't replace a sail after 8 days.

6. Kratos

Kratos Member

Whoa haha, I was just saying that was my thing. Not every should/can/will/needs to follow that. Depending on schedules, 6 a summer would be normal, then maybe one a winter. CORK, NA's, Sail East, NQR (National team Qualifying Regatta for Canada), a couple locals. And yes, for me, sailing costs over $1000 a summer...rather easily I'm afraid to say. Never did I say you must replace your sail every ___ events to be effective. That is untrue.

Jealous about the Cookson 50 part though.

7. mlemieux1978

mlemieux1978 New Member

Sorry to sound a little heated there, I get a little carried away about my 76 sq. feet of dacron wearing out. Good luck with your season.

Mike

8. commodorejoel

commodorejoel New Member

Laser Sails are horrible. I just purchased a new boat from Vanguard...and I don't like my creases in my brand new sail...maybe if the sail was old I wouldn't mind...but I don't like paying for creased sails.

9. Kratos

Kratos Member

lol that's the way she goes man. Unless you get a Hyde one that comes in a big tube, rolled around a piece of PVC tubing. Those are sweet, believe me.

10. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Grab a handful, and have a seat. Here we go again!!!!

[​IMG]

11. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

You forgot the beer!

12. yankees3

yankees3 New Member

Re: Sails...Looking for used (non-competition)

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I am up on Lake George in NY State. Don't everybody giggle now. Our home is heated all year, the garage is not. Left a sail in the garage last winter, The Red Squirrrels will eat anything at below zero and no food. I am lookink for one or two used sails which will do the job. I can be reached at my office @ 914-333-0777 or @
    yankees3@ix.netcom.com.
    Thanks

13. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Go to Andrew Campbell's web site. He has at least 3 sails he's selling.

14. yankees3

yankees3 New Member

How do do I get to Andrew's website?
    Thanks Stan

15. madyottie

madyottie Apprentice

Very slightly off topic, but I was talking to a guy at the laser open our club held over the weekend, and he was complaining that he got beaten into second in the first race. He then went on to say that his current boat was quite old, and needed replacing. No drama there, except when I now say that he only races at regional level, and his boat is three months old!

Whats that about?

Last time I actually raced against him fairly (which was two years ago, and again he was in a brand new boat) I lead him around the course in both races, despite having a thirty year old boat and equally old sail. Unfortunately I managed to stuff it up near the end of both races although I think I still beat him in one of them. (last year my boat got slightly damaged and took a small army to remove it from the water, hence no result!)

Sadly my ancient sail fell apart late last season, so with only a replica I was unable to race this weekend, but having seen where he was in relation to the other club sailors in the fleet (it was a combined start with the handicap fleet racing the same course as the lasers) I think I could possibly have won this one as well, although I'll never know.

I do have a new class legal sail, but i'm saving it until my student income is enough to get a new top section... just in case!

16. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

17. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

This guy is blaming his gear for his bad tactical decisions.

18. SloBoat

SloBoat New Member

Well, since you can't blame the crew . . .

19. SFBayLaser

SFBayLaser Member

What? No discussion about this?

20. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

I saw it. Looks like this is a big step ahead of the new sail the class is looking at, but 58% more sail is almost scary!