Sailing With Others Aboard

Wildbank

Does anyone have any tips or advice for taking a passenger along in lite to moderate wind. I have only spent half a season getting used to my Laser Pro yet (minus the terminology) I am fairly familiar. I have capsized only once and have managed a few thrilling afternoons in 20-25 knots winds.

Thanks for the responses. Cautious? Skilled? Lucky? I need to sail with some others to figure this out. I suspect I am cautious. I am in my early fifties and weigh 160. The Laser Pro really requires allot of muscle and stamina in some of the winds that I sail in. I suspect I am muscling my way around the lake in a way that is pretty sloppy or lacking finesse.

I grew up on Long Island Sound in NY sailing an old Alcor Sunfish and occasional Hobbies. I remember spending hours on the water in very strong winds (pre-thunderstorm winds). I used to think that sailing in a permanent state of "hiking-out" was the point of sailing. I didn't learn until recently that keeping the boat flatter in the water is the point. I have allot of experience and no expertise. I sail on Lake Lewisville in North Texas and have never seen another Laser on the water. I may have to trailer the boat to Arlington or elsewhere to meet up with other Laser sailors to compare and contrast what I am doing to stay upright out there.

Does anyone out there sail on Lake Lewisville?

Yes, after seeing others at my local lake sail two up, I tried it. In order to have good controll and room, my friend sat forward of the mast with her back against it and reached back to hold on, I sat back just a bit extra in the cockpit. At some point the wind picked up we had a great sail. It kind of reminded me of taking someone for a ride on the handlebars of a bike.

My son and I often sail two up. I also occasionally have another adult with me and they do sometimes sit forward of the mast and at other times they take the main in the cockpit.

Attachments

• IMG_5341.JPG
    IMG_5341.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5342.JPG
    IMG_5342.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5343.JPG
    IMG_5343.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 60
Good to see dad and son out together. I have taken my 11 year old out as well with no problems. Even let him go on his own in 2-3 knots. It looked great having him fully hiked in those conditions and blitzing past all the other sailors. I struggled in his Opti though!

Thanks for the responses. Cautious? Skilled? Lucky? I need to sail with some others to figure this out. I suspect I am cautious. I am in my early fifties and weigh 160. The Laser Pro really requires allot of muscle and stamina in some of the winds that I sail in. I suspect I am muscling my way around the lake in a way that is pretty sloppy or lacking finesse.

I grew up on Long Island Sound in NY sailing an old Alcor Sunfish and occasional Hobbies. I remember spending hours on the water in very strong winds (pre-thunderstorm winds). I used to think that sailing in a permanent state of "hiking-out" was the point of sailing. I didn't learn until recently that keeping the boat flatter in the water is the point. I have allot of experience and no expertise. I sail on Lake Lewisville in North Texas and have never seen another Laser on the water. I may have to trailer the boat to Arlington or elsewhere to meet up with other Laser sailors to compare and contrast what I am doing to stay upright out there.

Does anyone out there sail on Lake Lewisville?

You need to get in touch with Fred, (The Gouv on this site). There are lots of Lasers in TX, but none on Lewisville. There used to be a group that sailed on White Rock in town on Wednesday evenings and some Sundays. Rush Creek Yacht Club on Ray Hubbard hosts 2 "dingy fest" events a year that most always gathers a decent Laser fleet.

Thanks All:

This has been really helpful. It is amazing to have access to such a fine group of folks from all around the world.

Might need more practice at capsize recovery before taking somebody else out. When I was a kid I used to sit in front of the mast on my dad's laser, (out of the way of the boom!). a small adult passenger could maybe also do this. If it is moderately windy and you want to 100% avoid a capsize then reef the sail by wrappping it round the mast a coule of turns.

Thanks Looper. I will give that a try. I have never reefed the sail for fear that it might cause some damage to the sail. I will read up on that procedure.

Back