Sailing Athlete Commits Anti-Doping Rule Violation

Discussion in 'Laser News Desk' started by Scuttlebutt, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Scuttlebutt

Scuttlebutt New Member

This news report does not list the athlete or the event, but August 26, 2009 was the last day of the Laser Worlds in Nova Scotia.

Sailing Athlete Commits Anti-Doping Rule Violation

(Ottawa, Ontario – December 15, 2009) – The Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES) announced today that a sailing athlete has committed an anti-doping rule violation. The violation occurred during in-competition doping control on August 26, 2009. The athlete’s urine sample returned an adverse analytical finding for cannabis, a prohibited substance on the World Anti-Doping Agency Prohibited List.

Cannabinoids are classified as “specified substances” on the Prohibited List. Under the rules of the Canadian Anti-Doping Program (CADP), an athlete facing a first violation involving a “specified substance” can seek a sanction reduction from two years of ineligibility down to the lowest possibility – a reprimand – by satisfying a three-part test. The athlete must establish how the substance entered his or her body, and must prove that it was not intended to be performance-enhancing nor to mask a performance-enhancing substance. Thirdly, corroborating evidence must be provided regarding the absence of the athlete’s intent to enhance sport performance. Subsequently, the CCES does a fault analysis to determine the nature of any ineligibility period.

In response to the CCES’ notification of the adverse analytical finding, the athlete in question waived the right to a hearing and acknowledged the commission of an anti-doping rule violation. The athlete satisfied the three-part test and the fault analysis was conducted. A sanction of a reprimand and no period of ineligibility has been determined. The athlete’s individual results were disqualified for competition. Furthermore, the athlete has been warned that a second violation over the next eight years will result in a significant sanction of up to four years ineligibility.

Rule 7.15 of the CADP requires the CCES to publicly report the final decision on all anti-doping rule violations. In accordance with the CCES Policy on Public Disclosure of Anti-Doping Rule Violations, since this violation has resulted in a reprimand and no period of ineligibility, the CCES will not disclose the athlete’s name.

The CCES is an independent, national, non-profit organization. Our mission, to foster ethical sport for all Canadians, is carried out through research, promotion, education, detection and deterrence, as well as through programs and partnerships with other organizations.

2. Kratos

Kratos Member

Very interesting.

3. fracisco

fracisco New Member

Sucky rule. Cannabis is not performance enhancing. If the sailor had EPO or CERA in their bloodwork, that is some serious doping.

4. Kratos

Kratos Member

While I agree, a banned substance is a banned substance.

5. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

The reprimand :eek: handed out does seem like the proper response, IMHO.

Sail on!

PS: this thread seems better suited for the News section.

6. Zoophyte

Zoophyte New Member

7. torrid

torrid Just sailing

He didn't inhale. He was just testing the wind direction.

8. Kratos

Kratos Member

Glad he got his medal back.

9. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

A stupid rule is still a stupid rule.

10. Kratos

Kratos Member

Wasn't Worlds.

11. Kratos

Kratos Member

Sure, might as well accept all recreational drugs while we're at it.

They should really only ban AAS and EPO.

/Sarcasm

12. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Now you made me REALLY curious!

:)

13. torrid

torrid Just sailing

I would then venture to guess CORK. And that wouldn't necessarily mean Lasers either.

14. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

It's impact for this athlete might be to make them more relaxed and less tense. That can be performance enhancing. Sorry, but the athlete should know not only the sailing rules, be aware of the measurement rules for the class and should have been educted by his national authority on the anti doping rules, there is no excuse.

15. Kratos

Kratos Member

That's a poor attempt at justification. Unless the guy was smoking up right before or as he was on the water, that's point doesn't really hold water. And, if he was, by some chance, smoking on the way to the course or before he hit the water, it wasn't doing jack **** to increase his performance.

If someone was a smoker, having a couple smokes before a race might make them more relaxed and less tense. Is nicotine on the banned substance list? I'm not sure.

Also, since the testing at CORK is "random", it could have been Joe Blow, never-sails-except-at-CORK-because-it's-in-his-hometown. The "national authority" doesn't need to educate them on anything. The information is there for him/her to read, so that's their responsibility. The national authority (CYA) doesn't have to spoon feed it to everyone.

If the "random" testing at CORK (performed by ISAF?) is indeed random, it's funny how it seems to happen to the same people repeatedly. (Or I guess the one person I know of)

16. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

Did it allow the individual to get a "good night sleep" instead of being stressed out? You really think that someone who is highly stressed and hasn't slept well, will preform as well as if that same individual who slept well over night?

17. Kratos

Kratos Member

What about that ZMA or the GABA I took the night before, before I went to bed? That allowed me to have a great, more restful sleep. Better than marijuana could ever do. That's not on the banned substance list. As a matter of fact, you can get it at just about any grocery store or vitamin shop, no big deal.

Are you really saying something should be banned for producing a good night's sleep? Because that would be absolutely ridiculous, Alan. Come on.

18. Kratos

Kratos Member

What about an ECA stack (ephedrine, caffeine, Aspirin) a couple times a day while you're out on the water? All three are legal (although they're cracking down on ephedrine these days) and an ECA stack will make you feel pretty damn good.

The only one on the prohibited substance list is ephedrine, and only when the concentration in a urine sample is greater than 10 micrograms per milliliter. I don't know where the standard dosage of ephedrine in an ECA stack would put you, but I'm sure you could adjust to suit the standards

So, are we still really discussing marijuana as a PED because it "makes you sleep better"?

19. torrid

torrid Just sailing

So what are the laws in Canada for marijuana use and posession? I would imagine it would be similar to California, de-criminalized for small amounts.

20. Kratos

Kratos Member

I believe it is decriminalized under ten grams.

I'm not sure if testing positive like this can have any criminal/legal ramifications, though.