Sailing after knee surgery

Pennlaser

Anybody have experience or advice for sailing after knee surgery?

I'd be happy to hear some tips on stretches, hinged braces etc.

Just had surgery on both knees (torn PCL, meniscus) and am rehabbing for late spring racing.

Thanks in advance.

Anybody have experience or advice for sailing after knee surgery?

I'd be happy to hear some tips on stretches, hinged braces etc.

Just had surgery on both knees (torn PCL, meniscus) and am rehabbing for late spring racing.

Thanks in advance.

I have had 3 knee surgeries, a meniscus repair in each knee and an ACL reconstruction. After proper rehab I have been able to sail without any problems. I find that hiking makes my knees feel good. Hiking properly should not put any undue stress on the knee joints. The only problem I have is with keeping my knees bent while in the cockpit. That can cause some soreness. Otherwise feel free to sail away. No need for a brace in my experience. Good luck.

Ditto to the above.

I've had an ACL reconstruction. Once you've done the rehab there isn't any problems. For the first 6 months, keeping an icepack in the sailing club freezer is possibly worthwhile, as you might get some swelling occasionally. Also I do no specific stretching.

The only issue I had was getting back onto the water to soon before I had completely free movement, impacted on my tacking technique, in the end it was something I went back to basics and did a few thousand tacks to eliminate the poor technique caused by being back 6 weeks to early, I was on the water again after 3-4 months.

I would start riding a bicycle. My wife is a physical therapist and they try to get people on stationary bikes asap after knees. Biking is also one of the best exercises for quad endurance and strength. Riding up steep hills is similar to hiking in a Laser.

See if you can get some topical ibuprofen or Voltaran. They are super effective on joint pain and have basically no side effects.

Best thing would be to see a physical therapist and get some good advice rather than some guesses by a few crusty Laser sailors.

Whilst I fully endorse cycling to asist in the recovery, until recently I was doing in excess off 100km per week. However, if you're to cycle, make sure you get properly fitted to the bike. A poorly fitting bike will put the knee under a lot of strain and potential do a lot of damage.

I would start riding a bicycle. My wife is a physical therapist and they try to get people on stationary bikes asap after knees. Biking is also one of the best exercises for quad endurance and strength. Riding up steep hills is similar to hiking in a Laser.

See if you can get some topical ibuprofen or Voltaran. They are super effective on joint pain and have basically no side effects.

Best thing would be to see a physical therapist and get some good advice rather than some guesses by a few crusty Laser sailors.

My comments assumed that the original poster was doing the usual rehab prescribed by his physician following knee surgery, which he should certainly do. After that is over sailing a Laser should not be a problem for him.

Back