Sail Symbol Restoration

I just realized my Super Porpoise on the sail is just visible enough to trace and bring it back into full view.

I am guessing I have a Dacron sail. I am not sure what is used to make the symbols originally, or what I could use to enhance mine. I have a friend that can do vinyl cut-outs or maybe I could use sail tape? Maybe they were silk screened on with ink originally?

Let me know if you have any ideas.

BrainCorrel

I just realized my Super Porpoise on the sail is just visible enough to trace and bring it back into full view.

I am guessing I have a Dacron sail. I am not sure what is used to make the symbols originally, or what I could use to enhance mine. I have a friend that can do vinyl cut-outs or maybe I could use sail tape? Maybe they were silk screened on with ink originally?

Let me know if you have any ideas.

BrainCorrel
BC, Your sail emblem probably is silk screened, that would be typical.

They sell adhesive backed sailcloth (Dacron polyester - gee, there's one of those disco poly words again), much like sail tape only it comes in wider pieces. It's known as "insignia cloth".

Google the term... Sailrite and Saikmakers Supply carry it, good bet many other sail maker shops do too.

This is about as close as I can get to a silk screen on my budget.

I don't think a stencile is quite the same thing as screen printing.

this%20side%20up.gif

A $17, 54" wide yard of insignia cloth..., trace, cut, peel & stick is the most economical way I know of?

;)

A lot of people at my club have used Sharpie or paint directly on the sail. It actually looks pretty goood for a while, but you have to redo it every winter because it fades. Personally I would take Wayne's advice and buy some "sticky-back" and make a new logo, but you can try the sharpie first and see if you like it. Get the fattest sharpie you can get, draw the outline, then fill in the middle with parallel strokes for the most even coverage.

Good luck!

Back