Sail Rolling Poll

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Deimos, Aug 28, 2007.

?

Sail Rolling or Folding

1. Sail purchased Rolled, Kept Rolled

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Sail purchased Rolled, Kept Folded

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sail purchased Folded, Kept Rolled

24 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. Sail purchased Folded, Kept Folded

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  5. Other (something I've missed)

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Looper

Looper New Member

Folded and Folded.

It is ancient, wrinkled, saggy and baggy like my nana.

Every time I fold it on the slipway tarmac it picks up a new splotch of greeny-brown swan shit. It is starting to look like a camouflaged army surplus tarp.

2. fracisco

fracisco New Member

Sail Bag

That seems like a good way to go. Also, an Etchells mainsail bag fits a rolled Laser sail. J/24 mainsail bag and V15 mainsail bag are too short by about the length of a factory Laser sail 'sack'.

3. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

4. Josef

Josef New Member

Rolling lasersails (when not on the mast obviously) will never make the sail perform better =P
    It does make the sail look newer though which might always be nice ;)

5. Deimos

Deimos Member

I actually did a search before starting the other thread about sail rolling but got a list of all threads that contain the word "rolled" or "sail" (even when I did enclosed both words in quotes). And there were quite a lot of threads containing the word sail.

Ian

6. Reon

Reon New Member

7. Wildbank

Wildbank Member

Hello:
    I have appreciated your perspecxtive on many Forum issues. Can you tell me how to roll my new sail (Laser Pro)? It came in a bag (folded).

Also how do you effectively get it on and off the mast without worrying about the ground surface scuffing it up etc?

8. IntensitySails

IntensitySails Member

9. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

Generally I lay the mast down the centreline of the boat, put the sail upside down on top of it (battens in), feed the open end of the luff pocket onto the top of the mast and pull it on. Once it gets to half way I lift the mast off the boat and pull at the same time. Bit of forearm strength required but there you go. Taking it off is similar but easier.

10. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

Have you guys also noticed that if you roll a sail in the northern hemisphere it will unroll the exact opposite way than if you rolled it in the southern hemisphere.

Not a lot of people know that.

11. Wildbank

Wildbank Member

Thanks Chainsaw. I imagine that you arepulling the sheet over the mast in a way that it is unfolding over it's length as you pull it on. Is that right? Mineis still quite stiff making this a bit more difficult as it likes to hard crease as I pull it over itself. Am I understaning you correctly?

12. Deimos

Deimos Member

Mine as well. I need to have the sail "tube" and mast pretty well in line with each other to be able to pull the sail on. If the sail "tube thing" is a bit folded or creased the mast will stop. Mine is a fairly new sail (although some of the stitching in the read that goes round the mast is already broken).

Ian

13. Wildbank

Wildbank Member

Thanks Ian! I will let you know if I find any more tips that can help those of us with stiff sail syndrome.

14. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

Yeah that's the idea. I suppose you could equally lay the sail out along the length of the boat and insert the mast instead.