Sail Rolling Poll

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Deimos, Aug 28, 2007.

?

Sail Rolling or Folding

1. Sail purchased Rolled, Kept Rolled

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Sail purchased Rolled, Kept Folded

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sail purchased Folded, Kept Rolled

24 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. Sail purchased Folded, Kept Folded

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  5. Other (something I've missed)

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Deimos

Deimos Member

Previous thread I started made me wonder if a poll might be interesting.

Ian

2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Are you asking what we think would be best, or what we actually do?

3. sk8ingsailor

sk8ingsailor Member

I roll mine on PVC and put it in a long bag.

4. Ross B

Ross B Guest

I always keep my current racing sail on a tube and in a Colie Sails roll bag, as can be found here: http://coliesails.com/allcovers.html#laser

all others are folded, it would get to expensive and take up to much room to keep 10 sails rolled

5. sailchris

sailchris Member

I keep my sail rolled in a simple bag that costs about $30 from APS. I recently decided that it was important to keep the roll stiff to avoid additional creases and added a 4 inch diameter perforated PVC pipe from Home Depot for about $6. The pipe is sold as drainage pipe and comes with two rows of holes drilled along its length that will be good for ventilation. The pipe is fairly thin walled and is made of white PVC. I just had to cut about 2 feet off the end and rig up some scrap rope to tie the clew and cunningham grommets to the tube. Total cost <$40. The Colie version sells for $229, including $90 for shipping (the bag alone sells for $119).

6. schloe

schloe New Member

I used to get all my stuff from Colie about 10 years ago when I raced there, but they are definitely ridiculously overpriced nowadays.

7. Deimos

Deimos Member

I suppose what you actually do. It's not a big issue but I assume that most people would ideally buy rolled and keep rolled - just other factors tend to prevent that.

Ian

8. Deimos

Deimos Member

I'm not quick and definitely not quick today as I cannot yet see the combination I've missed. Please let me know so I can get some sleep tonight.

Ian

9. sailchris

sailchris Member

As far as I know we cannot purchase sails rolled from the dealer in the US. They are only sold folded.

10. Ross B

Ross B Guest

bag sells for $139, and $90 worth of shipping if you decide to get it with a tube, which from my view is a ridiculous thing to do, as you can just go and get a tube yourself, which is much cheaper.I still beleive it's the best sail bag available.

11. sailchris

sailchris Member

The Colie bag sells for $119 (without the tube) and $139 with the tube ($139 + $90 = $229 which is what I meant by "including $90 for shipping").

The Colie bag is well made and does include a full length zipper...but charging $20 for a $6 piece of PVC is a bit steep.

That said, I'd still rather pay $30 for the bag (APS) and $6 for the tube (Home Depot).

12. Ross B

Ross B Guest

ahhh yes, just saw that, my mistake, but yea, thats why I buy it without the tube

13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Buy it folded and keep it stuffed up in a crumpled heap in the cockpit?

14. Deimos

Deimos Member

And then there is "Buy it in a crumpled heap and spend a lifetime trying to flatten it out".

Ian

15. sailchris

sailchris Member

Throw it away after use.*

*Only applies to those Laser sailors engaged in Olympic Campaigns like Ross B with $5,000 worth of sail inventory and nowhere to store it. ;)

16. Ross B

Ross B Guest

basically..

17. Deimos

Deimos Member

Seems very expensive for a sail bag. Mine is a tube with an opening at one end, no full length zips and its dead easy to get the sail (on a pipe) in and out. To purchase from PSE (UK) is US$35 (I converted £ to $).

Ian

18. sailchris

sailchris Member

That's what I have...a $30 bag from APS and a $6 tube from Home Depot.

19. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

DOn't forget to chuck a few house bricks on it to stop high winds blowing it away!

20. Mawill

Mawill New Member

I roll mine up, leave it under the top cover.

Seems to work ok.