Sail Ring Removal Tool - Easy to Make

swhobie

swhobie
I had to take 3 sails off of the booms to do some boom straightening which worked well but taking off those clips had me frustrated :mad: as one of the rigs was rather aged and the sail rings were more yellow than white. I tried everything, needle nose, vise grips, two screwdrivers, etc... After thinking :rolleyes: about this I took an old putty knife and my grinder and made a notch in the end of the blade of the putty knife. This notch fits nicely over the sail grommet around the post for the sail ring. Then simply take a flat blade screwdriver and slip on top of putty knife next to post and pry gently. Wow, it works great. The putty knife protects the grommet and the sail cloth. I have been using it for a while and thought I should share with the world of Sunfish Sailors.

See pictures for details.

Now if you take this and get a patent, start selling them on eBay and make a million $ or two, just look me up and share your rewards.

Thanks and have a Hobie Day! :)

Attachments

• sail Clip Tool 1.JPG
    sail Clip Tool 1.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Sail Clip tool 2.JPG
    Sail Clip tool 2.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Sail Clip Tool 3.JPG
    Sail Clip Tool 3.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 69
Cool tool :cool:

I'll have to try your idea next time I change sails.

Wish they still made one.

Attachments

• Cool Tool.jpg
    Cool Tool.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 81
That "sunfish tool" was simply a standard paper punch with the tips ground to fit between the sail clip. They need the handles pried apart to open the sail clip and worked better to actually close the clips.
We used to use External snap ring pliers as they could be modified in the same way but when the handle was squeezed the tips opened up for clip removal.

Back