Sail Cleaning

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by will162878, Feb 5, 2003.

1. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Mold stains don't affect dacron. You can remove them with a weak solution of bleach in water (Tilex works fine), rinse with water when stain is gone

Hint for other materials - keep bleach away from Kevlar and nylon.

2. will162878

will162878 New Member

When they are washed out, the sail gets slightly softer each time. Over time, sails that have had lots of stains and been washed many times will gradually lose their performance edge.

3. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

That's only true if you tumble wash a sail or use chemicals that can break down the resinated finish on the cloth. (Bleach, when applied as explained in my earlier post will not break down the resin)

If you lay a sail on the ground and use a mild detergent, the sail will not get softer or loose any performance (a resinated finish will not be removed or broken down with soap) That's all that should be needed for a Laser sail...

Corollary to this is minimize flogging/ragging/luffing your sail, bunching it up and tossing in a pile at the end of every day. Those actions will breakdown the finish and cause a performance loss

4. will162878

will162878 New Member

Rubbing out stains does degrade polyester: a study carried out on the optimal cleaning conditions concluded that the chemicals did not break down the resin or the fibres BUT the actual pieces of dirt, grit, sand and mud abraded the surface. Chemically, the sail is nearly indestructable, but imagein rubbing your sail down with sand paper...

5. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Mildew removal does not involve rubbing (nor does mildew itself contain any abrasive, it's strictly a cosmetic annoyance)

The sail washing I recommended above does not involve scrubbing or rubbing either, think of it as a rinse.

6. laser161116

laser161116 New Member

I thought laser sails were dracon. If so, why does what happens when you wash polyester matter. 49208 said something about tumble washing a sail. This doesn't mean putting it in the washing machine, does it. That would definetly be a new one to me!

7. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Dacron=Polyester
    (Dacron is Dupont's tradename I believe for polyester fibre)

Yes, there were/are some commerical sail wash outfits that use a big tumble type machine.

8. will162878

will162878 New Member

Dacron is resin impregnated polyester and sails can be washed in a washing machine - no heat, plenty of water.

9. laser161116

laser161116 New Member

doesn't that get the threads/fibers not smooth and out of place.

10. will162878

will162878 New Member

I don't use that for racing sails as I don't really trust it bu the resin should protect the fibres. You're only rolling it round and round which probably does less damage than leaving it to flap on the beach.

11. pzl@24

pzl@24 Guest

waxing your boat

i was reading some stuff of using sand paper in your hull

dont use sand paper its ilegal the best thing is car wax

car wax protects your paint from the sun salt (elements) and makes the boat faster a little bit but is important in my club once a week we put this stuff on our boats and then go sailing

you also can use special wax for boats that you can get in every marine shop the thing is that car wax is for car paint
    thats diferent from the boat paint. boat paint is made from plastic and car paint from oil
    what wax does is just put an extra protection to your paint leaving it softer and softer is beter
    the best thing is wax

12. will162878

will162878 New Member

Using abrasive paper on the hull is perfectly legal under ILCA rules.

13. pzl&24

pzl&24 New Member

maybe but its stupid you will get all your paint off in less than a year

14. will162878

will162878 New Member

You'll have to try quite hard to get paint off a laser... ...lasers aren't painted.

15. laser161116

laser161116 New Member

gelcoat doesn't rub off easily...especially with 600-1000 grit sandpaper

16. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

It's not gelcoat I believe. The boats are molded likt that in that color. In pictures of the Vanguard factory I've seen they have seperate molds for different collored laser and the molds are that color.

17. will162878

will162878 New Member

The gelcoat is pigmented before it is applied to the mould.

18. JustLaxin

JustLaxin New Member

You can probally find it on the Internet.
    Maybe???

19. will162878

will162878 New Member

find what?

20. laser161116

laser161116 New Member

whether boats are made out of gelcoat? i'm not sure though