sail adjustments and results

cmnative

I have read as much as I could find on the settings for adjusting your sail in regards to height( usually just below the 10th sail clip) and gooseneck adjustments(average of 19 inches from front of boom). What I was hoping to find would be what happens when you move the sail foward or aft on the boom setting and what happens when the sail is raised or lowered. I have been told that by keeping your sail as low to the deck as possible, you can sail closer to the wind on the windward leg. I have also read that adjustmets on the height are only within 6 inches or so(from light wind to heavy wind, not considering a Jens rig). If I were to move my gooseneck forward...what happens?? If I move it aft more...what happens?? I want to understand HOW the adjustments of the sail effect the results......
As always...any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you move the gooseneck forward then you will end up pointing a little bit higher to the wind, but there will be more of a pull on the rudder. Moving it aft will reduce the weather helm, but you wont be able to point quite as high. I've found that on adverage people will leave the gooseneck at about 15 inches from where the black plastic cap meets the metal part of the boom.

Back