Rules applicable to breakdown of supplied equipment

4.7sailor

What should be my course of action if something on a supplied boat breaks? Last weekend, in a friendly fleet race (supplied boats) one of the traveller fairleads broke on my boat immediately after the start. This had me wondering what I should have done had this been in a competitive ranking regatta. The only applicable rule I found was D5 in the RRS team racing appendice.

In collegiate fleet races (almost always sailed on boats supplied by the host college), I've seen boats being declared BKD and the points awarded are an average of the individual race points over the regatta.

Any thoughts on this?

Although I haven't faced this situation, my understanding is that

In collegiate fleet races (almost always sailed on boats supplied by the host college), I've seen boats being declared BKD and the points awarded are an average of the individual race points over the regatta.

is how it's often done.
One example was the final trial event for the USA Olympic Laser spot. Brad Funk had problems with his strap (not his fault); he requested redress, which was granted. Consequently, his score was adjusted as the series progressed. In the end, it didn't really matter because Rob Crane had an amazing final day and won the selection.

It depends on whether you could have anticipated the breakdown. You should always check a borrowed boat thoroughly before you go out so things like worn lines, bungees, etc can be pointed out to the governing authority. That said I'm not sure you could have seen the fairlead issue. Since it was the first race and after the start I'm not sure how they would have ranked you. Hopefully the problem was fixed and you could continue racing. Then you would have recieved average points for the day.

Normally the traveller fairleads look fine until the go pop.

I have the aluminium ones on my boat for exactly this reason. They are a few ££ ($$) more but worth every penny.

Back