Class Politics Rule 2

oniondip

Ok, i was reading over the rules really quick when i was bored and i noticed rule 2 states that if a boat with the right of way hits the boat with no rights hard enough to cause an injury the boat with no rights can now protest them.

Does this mean if i have an old junk boat i could stay port and let the startboard boat smoke me enough to hurt me, and i can protest him?

(I dont think ill ever try it)

oniondip said:
Ok, i was reading over the rules really quick when i was bored and i noticed rule 2 states that if a boat with the right of way hits the boat with no rights hard enough to cause an injury the boat with no rights can now protest them.

Does this mean if i have an old junk boat i could stay port and let the startboard boat smoke me enough to hurt me, and i can protest him?

You are BOTH supposed to try to avoid a collision and if you don't try to avoid a collision you are at fault, no matter who has right of way.

oniondip said:

When all else fails, read the instructions! Rule 2 says nothing about collisions; the entire text of rule 2 is:

FAIR SAILING A boat and her owner shall compete in compliance with recognized
principles of sportsmanship and fair play. A boat may be penalized
under this rule only if it is clearly established that these principles
have been violated. A disqualification under this rule shall not be
excluded from the boat’s series score.

You may be thinking of Rule 14, which says:

AVOIDING CONTACT
A boat shall avoid contact with another boat if reasonably possible.
However, a right-of-way boat or one entitled to room
(a) need not act to avoid contact until it is clear that the other boat
is not keeping clear or giving room, and
(b) shall not be penalized under this rule unless there is contact that
causes damage or injury.

So, if you stayed on Port, you'd be violating both rule 10 and rule 14. If Starbord hit you, Starboard might or might not be in violation of rule 14. If you did it deliberately, with malice aforethought, you might be in violation of Rule 2.

haha thanks chris, i did get the rules mixed up. ill never trust a non legit internet forum again (not laserforum, it was one for c&c or something) but like i mentioned, it would be dumb to destroy my laser in order to protest a guy and get one spot but loose 10 due to water.

Back