Rudder And Daggerboard Repairs

tag

my2fish
so this winter, one of my projects was to re-finish my wood parts. I have (1) Super Porpoise and (2) Sunfish, so that's (3) rudders and (3) daggerboards. each of them has presented challenges. the set from my newest boat are probably the most painful - Alan Glos helped me determine they were probably coated with epoxy, so they've been a bear to get the finish off.

I'm using the threaded dowel method to repair cracked sections. I've completed the repair on the Super Porpoise rudder, and still have to finish it on the Sunfish rudder. I've been using West System epoxy with various fillers for various repairs to nicks, gouges, dry rot, etc.

I've still got a little bit of work to do, but hopefully I can start to apply a finish here shortly. if I wait too long, I'm going to miss out on the sailing season! it's been crazy warm in Michigan, so I'm already getting the itch to be out on the (still very cold) water.

here are a bunch of progress photos. I went into a bit more detail on my Sunfish blog here.

cheers,
tag
IMG_0284.jpgIMG_0285.jpgIMG_0286.jpgIMG_0287.jpgIMG_0291.jpgIMG_0307.jpgIMG_0320.jpgIMG_0321.jpgIMG_0332.jpgIMG_0339.jpg

Back