Round the World Races

macwas16

I am (or try to be) a big follower of round the world races. It seemed like it all used to be so simple telling which race is which but today, with different race sponsors the names of these races have changed. Here I am simply going to name the round the world races (or other blue water races) with a breif description in hope that someone can tell me if it has a new name and what it is.

Vondee Globe - Single handed nostop around the globe.

Whitbread - Crewed round the world race with different legs along the way.

BT Global Challenge - A crewed race around the globe in specially designed boats. Every one is like another. Crewed with many legs.

Around Alone - Single handed with different legs around the globe. (started this fall)

OSTAR - Single or double handed?? east to west across the Atlantic

Admirals Cup - A series of Blue water races in the vacinity of Great Britian including the Fastnet Race.

I know that one of the around the world races was renamed the Volvo Ocean Race. But I'm not sure which one it is. (I think it is now the name of the Whitbread.)

The big one is the Volvo Ocean Race formally the Whitbread.....it is the AC of ocean racing. This past year's race was one of the most proffessionaly run and organized i've ever seen. I followed it throughout. The next episode is even going to be more elaborate......sailing under the arm of corporate sponsorship can be a good thing.

check it out: http://www.volvooceanrace.com/homepage.html

I used Virtual Spectator and the Web site ....and it was like being there. I even went to the Baltimore stay over in the inner harbor........amazing!!

hi im new here
i think world races are boring
cause i know a man who went from my town (acapulco) to hawaii
first time failed second almost dead third he did it. its impressive
he went sailing in a finn(like 14 ft boat) in like the 60's no radar no gps what did he eat :see weed and drank fish blood
he told me the salt under his clothes was like knives but he did it thats fun

I think that world races are cool. The boats go in so many conditions and the sailors go 18 hours a day. They don't get enough TV coverage, too. Sailing only gets coverage when the America's cup is on.

Back