Ross Bennett's Olympic Dream

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Ross B, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Re: Ross Bennett's Olympic Path

The Next Day.....- 2/29

So I had my plane tickets changed so I come home August 6th, because I found out that the dates for the US Laser Nationals at ABYC have been changed, so I will be attending that, the next day! I am going to be so tired during that regatta, it won't even be funny, ok actually it will, at least I'll be there, and thats all that matters.

* ok it actually starts the 8th, but you still get the point, it's been a long day

2. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Thanks, Fracisco, for pointing out the date change. Like Ross, I've made calendar mistakes, and for important things too. In future, please try to be more constructive with your criticism.

3. Scott B

Scott B Member

Sleep on the plane (both directions.) You will be jet-lagged, but the more sleep you can get, the better off you will be.

Also, drink plenty of water. Flying dehydrates you.

4. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Ross, It looks like your are setting up a great starting point for your campaign. Hitting these 2 events back to back and possibly the 3rd event in your area later will be a great temperature guage to see where you are at and where you need to go. Also, it will be great to watch your results and see how you improve from event to event. I would imagine racing 3 large fleet events together will be a crash course or a fast track refresher. The trick will be to progressivly improve through it.

Now for the constructive criticism, preaching, what ever you want to call it. Not too long ago you were banned from this site shortly after you began posting here. It looks like you took the lesson to heart which is a good thing.

You should remember that sailing is a VERY small community. Most of us that post here are probably about twice your age, with jobs and kids. We sleep very little and are crotchity and grumpy as a result. You may be independently wealthy and will never need a job which is a wonderful thing if you can manage it. However, you might need a job one day or donations for your campaign and could find yourself sitting in front of one of us for either reason. So, keep that in mind when you respond to these criticisims. It shows better on your character when you do not let these things get to you. I'm sure some of these things piss you off, but sleep on your responses and post the next day. Humility is a very enduring quality of one's personality. Once you put something in writing it's there forever. Well, at least until Janet or Bradly delete it!

5. Merrily

Which we do very rarely. It has to be a severe personal attack or the very worst sort of language. This thread and some of the sniping is still here, please note.

6. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

I should have put a laughing face at the end on that statement. It was meant to be funny.

7. Merrily

I know, Rob, but I still want people, especially newcomers, to understand the policy here. Thanks for the opportunity! :D

8. GeoffS

GeoffS Member

Done.

9. captainJack987

captainJack987 New Member

Ross, this may sound like a silly question but. How do you ship your boat around from place to place? It sounds like your going all over the worlf how do you get all your stuff there?

10. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Thankfully with the Laser, you can charter at big regattas, so I don't have to ship. If I were to ship, I would put it in a 40 foot container and end it off. And after college when I plan on spending lots of time in Europe, I'll probably buy a boat, and ship it back when I'm done. Same thing when I go to AUS/NZL. Or maybe leave it at a friends house.

*If you have no idea what it means to ship by container, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermodal_freight_transport

11. captainJack987

cool thanks, so you can just charter boats at different regattas and just show up with nothing. And there is a boat waiting for you?

12. Ross B

Ross B Guest

you bring your clothes, lines, sails, tiller/extension. Sometimes you have to pay extra for blades, and spars.

13. captainJack987

Are the hulls usually in pretty good shape, have you ever had a bad one?

14. Ross B

Ross B Guest

I have an 82, which I bought from Kim Zetterberg, who used it as his training boat for his Olympic Campaign, and he won the 1990 New Bedford Apprentice Masters Worlds, great guy. It's solid as a tank, great boat, smidge heavy but it was faster then ever.

My current boat is an 02, that I bought from Ned Jones, maybe in 03 or 04, can't remember. But Ned's been a friend of mine for as long as I've been sailing Lasers, also a great guy. The boat has been wonderful, and I should probably get 5 or 6 more years out of it. It's got some cosmetic(battle scar) repairs that are kind of fugly, but other than that it's great

15. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Ross, if you can sail in Europe all summer, more power to you. There will be plenty of opportunities to sail at NA top level events. The competition over there is so keen. Not that I know from firsthand experience, just that the Europeans come over here every winter and seriously kick my ass; and the great sailors I know train with them and race over there as much as possible.

I just took 2 sails, tiller and extension, all lines, lifejacket, hiking pants, etc. over to AUS along with full camping gear and stuff to wear to a wedding and they let me on the plane. European carriers may not let you take luggage as heavy as American carriers. I took my tiller in a PVC tube as a carryon in the US but the international carrier (NZ) made me check it; which put me over the two-bag limit. Plead ignorance and maybe they'll let you slide.

And enjoy the ride.

16. captainJack987

Michelle are you familiar with Key Biscayne?

17. Ross B

Ross B Guest

I did this for Orange Bowl and CORK, except I had to check it. I asked if I could carry it this time when we booked out flight, and they said forget about it.

18. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Have you heard of Luke Lawrence? He's a good friend of mine from Florida, and he's kind of a big deal. Look him up, he could teach you a thing or two.

19. captainJack987

I don' think so, I have cousins who live in Key Biscayne and are big 420 sailiors. One of my cousins actually got 2nd in a big regatta out there, I don't know which one it is but I know it was big. I personally live in Kansas but I spend a lot of time in Florida. I'll be down in Florida In a few weeks actually. They have Lasers at their yacht club and I can use them for free, I figure I could get a taste of ocean sailing. I'm sure my cousins have heard of him they know a lot of people in the sailing community.

20. Ross B

Ross B Guest

ahhhh

I had assumed you were from Florida because of your location

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.