Ross Bennett's Olympic Dream

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Ross B, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Re: Ross Bennett's Olympic Path

Just trying to help you be realistic. It will go a long way in helping you get donations or support from your club if the budget makes sense.

Also, if folks are going to give you money they will want to see an aggressive schedule with you being on the water, in a Laser, at big events. That's what their dollars will be going toward. They are not paying for you to be a part time weekend warrior they will want to see you competing at a level that is consistant with winning an olympic berth or at least going aggressively in that direction.

If you post things you have to expect people to comment on it.

BTW. I'd budget for 2 new top sections. Especially if your other 2 are already bent.

2. Ross B

Ross B Guest

did you notice my big emergency fund?

And as I said before, I am a FULL TIME STUDENT TAKING SATURDAY CLASSES!

3. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Hi Ross,

Having met Rob B, I can positively assure you that he is not attempting to belittle you. His comments are meant as constructive criticism to help you be successful with your goal.

4. Ross B

Ross B Guest

I am sure he has good intentions. I have reasons for the decisions I make, and I do not want to have to defend myself every time I post something.

5. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

OK. Maybe I'm confused. I think you want to do an olympic campaign, but it looks like now is not the time for that since you have a heavy school schedule.

I guess it throws me a bit to see you post a decent sized budget, but you don't have time to sail because of the course load. I've been there and understand that. I'm guessing your plan is to hit it hard after you graduate.

You're keil trip alone is worthy of it's own blog spot. How about you focus on that and let us know how the organization of that trip comes along and of course the trip itself? That could be some really interesting stuff with everything that is involved in the events you will sail while you are there. I can imagine the rock stars you'll run into as well.

6. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Rob, if you don't like the way I do things, I think it's best you look the other way. This semester is rough on me because of my Saturday class, and next year this should be more normal, and after I graduate, I plan to spend all my time in Europe and Oceania. All of this has been covered before, and this is the last time it will be covered.

Merrily, this thread is obviously not going to work for some people, lets consider getting rid of it.

7. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

New spars are more likely to take on a permanent bend but they are not more liukely to break. Older spars might be stiffer but also more likely to break rather than bend.

Realize, we are talking about aluminum....The same stuff we use for airplane wings. The number of repetitions to which we subject Laser spars is negligible.

8. TheBoathouse

TheBoathouse New Member

Ross, not "belittling you" just some constructive advise. Top end coaches are getting $750 to $1000 per day. Even basic coaches get $250+/- day ..You sure won't get much for $500 for entire season. If you want some budgeting ideas for a full-blown camapign (after yer out of school) check out some of the 470 campaigners websites at
    http://www.470na.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7 . Scott

9. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Yea I honestly had no idea with that one, as I will probably not be getting coaching for whole days/regattas. I will mostly just get coaching before regatta for tuning up, for an hour or two at a time. At my point, and at it being this early before 2012, and 2016, I don't find it necessary to go to every regatta with a coach, this will mostly likely change after college, especially in Europe

10. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

Well now there's another element I left out. So the alloy we use for tops sections shouldn't break often, at all?

Many many anecdotal theories around everything in this game. That's why I'm waiting for someone to do their PhD in sport science on something like this.

RossB, good on you for drawing the line but don't fight and run. Fight or flight. Just choose one. :D

We know about some of you physical limitations. We know about your schooling. Most of all we know you've decided to make a run at it. Good. You're likely to get heaps of shit on here and on your blog and in real life. In my bid just to reach the top of local racing I'm kicked down, pissed on, spat on, bad mouthed, misrepresented and mostly ignored. Understand now that what you are doing is the big league. When you come out the other side the person you'll be will reflect how you dealt with the situations that were thrown at you and the ones you got into yourself. Sailing is life. Carry a big stick, know when to use it and smile as much as you can.

“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”

~ Winston Churchill

11. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Jeez. Don't kill the thread. I thought I had some decent questions, but whatever. I'll be looking for the kiel stories. They should be good.

12. Bradley

Bradley Administrator Staff Member

13. dougreynolds10

dougreynolds10 Member

what year of college are you ross?

14. Ross B

Ross B Guest

It's Scott, he's cool in my book.

I'm in year 2 of college. If I get accepted to my college of choice to transfer next fall, I should only have 2 more years, 3 at the most.

15. Bradley

Now you can't give up this easily Ross! If I had your will there wouldn't even be a TLF!! In the early days the nay-sayers out numbered the supporters of this new "web email forum stuff" by a landslide. In those days, the class and lasering was discussed on the mailing list not on the web. There was a lot of heated debate on here and on the list about where was the right place to talk. Now, more than 5 years down the road, we have more than 7000 registered members and the successful model has been used for other classes such as the Sunfish, Capri14, and 470. So my point is, don't give up, there will be though times but it will only make you stronger! I know I learned more during that first year of managing the ILCA-NA Forum that quickly became The (independent) Laser Forum than any other period.

Also, as a side note, the ILCA-NA mailing list was absorbed by TLF a few years ago and still runs at laser @ laserforum.org.

16. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Bradley You should see the comments I just received on my site, I opened up the comments for 20 minutes to see what would happen, and I can't even repeat here what was said, very childish, crude, and rude. There are obviously people that hate me, and the one thing I hate about forums/ internet is that people can stand behind a fake name and get away with anything.

17. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Remember that start up football league a few years back, (maybe 10 years back?) called the XFL? There was this dude that came from no where and he was an awsome player. He ended up getting drafted to the big show in the NFL.

The name from his XFL jersey was, "He Hate Me". The guy inspired a lot of folks.

Anyway, I learned long ago not to post something I would not stand behind or freely admit was a mistake. You never know when you might run into someone! So, I'm easy to ID.

BTW, I'm cool w/the plug from Boathouse.

18. Scott B

Scott B Member

Ross,

I don't think people hate you specifically. The internet is a great tool for people to hide behind - most would not say those things to your face. More than the internet, though, it is human nature. See, you have a plan, a goal - a very worthwhile goal. These folks probably don't - so, they make themselves seem more important than you (in their minds) by trashing on you.

A lot of people in this world are very insecure - and they all have internet access! (And, most of them can't spell or use the English language correctly - but that is another issue!)

Scott

19. Bradley

hehe...The 470NA comment was an inside joke directed towards Scott/theboathouse and others "in the know". 470na.org is a member of the Sailing Forums Network....

20. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Ross, you openly choose post a lot of information about yourself both here and in your blog (something I wouldn't have the guts to do myself, hiding amongst the anonymity of the internet). By doing that, you must develop a thick skin to resist the comments of naysayers and trolls who are simply looking to get a reaction from you.

That being said, many of the comments offered in this thread were offered as constructive criticism. People were not passing judgement on you, so you shouldn't take it personally.

Don't start a thread like this if you are only going to ask to have it closed a day later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.