Replica Gear: Let's Get It All Out In The Open!!

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by ALJM, Aug 2, 2009.

1. beaker

beaker hi

Even more my point.

Note to self. That is the last time I buy a "knock-off" globe!

2. beaker

beaker hi

Even more my point.

Note to self. That is the last time I buy a "knock-off" globe!

If the sails were made in the USA and put our neighbors to work maybe the $530-$650 price tag would not be to bad.

3. dredies

dredies Member

Total agreement with you, Jeffers. When I saw the North "upgrade" it looked like someone spent a couple of hours and quickly put something together to say "We have an upgrade too!". If the sail design is going to change, let's make some real progress.

4. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

North built at least 5 different prototypes to the guidelines set forth by the builder, including one more or less identical to Hyde model that is being tested. Only the builder can answer as to why they picked the prototypes they did for testing.

I'd guess that Hyde built more then one also.

5. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Once again...without advocating I am explaining...

I believe Der dude is suggesting this:

The builders can supply any old rag they choose.

The ILCA can vote to allow any old rag it chooses.

Curently the ILCA approves only of the builder supplied rag and does so without question..

The ILCA could host a contest of its own and tell the builder>>
    We have found a sail we like. We trust the manufacturer and we intend to make that sail the new class legal sail.

The class will be marketing the sail and distribuiting the sail. if the builders would like to purchase the Class approved sail from the class, we will happily work to supply your needs.

Sails without the class approved patch will not be allowed on the race course after June 5th 2011.

_+_+_+_+_+_+

Fred's comment?? That sail supply business would by itself be larger than teh sum of all the existing laser class associations. I do not think such a system is currently a viable option.

it certainly would be nice to be able to tell the builders, "We have an alternative and we will be using that alternative unless you either significantly lower your prices or begin to deliver a much more consitently manufaturerd and durable product."

I don't believe the class is in that position , wants to be in that position, or even that it could be in that position

So, realistically? Unless the monopoly builder decides to lower its profit margins and raise its manufactuing expenses..The status Quo will rule.

6. Jon Hammond

Jon Hammond New Member

RS100 style sail with camber inducers ........ ? :rolleyes:

7. Der_Dude

Der_Dude Member

Why?

And why would the Class necessarily have to distribute the sails? Why wouldn't the regular supply chain through your local boat shop work for the new class approved sail by XYZ for the Laser?