Replacing the Sunfish deck

mdelaney

OK, I have a question for you pros out there. I have a sunfish with a badly damage deck and have thought about replacing it with wood. I have seen other one design boats that have taken glass boats and retrofit them with a wood deck. Snipes and Interlakes for starters. My thought would be to cut the front section of the deck off, leaving a portion around the mast step and then replace it with a 1/4" marine plywood. It would be attached to the top of the mast step, the rails and also blended into the main deck prior to splash rail. I truly think it would work, and not be too bad of a project. The wood would obviously have to be coated with expoy and the foam blocks reattached, but with the full deck off this would be easy. Open for comments / suggestions.

OK, I have a sunfish with a badly damage deck and have thought about replacing it with wood.
Pictures would help immensely for lending advice to such a major undertaking.

My first thought is, the damage needs to be nearly boat retiringly catastrophic not to warrant just repairing the fiberglass.

My second notion ... not actually knowing the extent of the damage ... would be to suggest leaving the broken fiberglass in place and laminating a thin piece of marine ply on top.

As you must know from viewing the damage, the Sunfish hull is only a fraction of the thickness of the other boat's you've performed this wood-ectomy on. I'm concerned this won't be as easy as you are imagining.

Back