Replace bailer ball (Metal Bailer)

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Waterdowg, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Waterdowg

Waterdowg New Member

My son has a 1971 Sunfish. So far I have taught him how to repair it. His boat has the metal bailer. The top unscrews off and all the threads look good. But he is missing the ball. I have search and found part number 79332. But I can't find anyone selling it. The only bailer replacement balls all say not for old metal style. So I'm reaching out to see were I can purchase new ones for the metal bailer.

2. Waterdowg

Waterdowg New Member

Hmmm.. Did I stump everyone? ;)

3. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

I'm stumped because I don't know diddly about the old metal bailers (though I'd like one to try out). Grainger catalogues have tons of little stuff like that.

The plastic bailers need a ball plus a rubber seal (set against the floating ball) to work as designed. Perhaps you can find a different seal that fits the bailer—yet seats well with the new (and available) ball. ???

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  4. danpal

danpal Active Member

I'm not sure if the current bailer ball fits the old DePersia bailers. I have an old one at home and I can check this evening.

5. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

Hopefully Danpal can get you the answer. The metal bailers were last used in 1971 or 72 or thereabouts so knowledge of them may be getting harder to find.

6. Waterdowg

Waterdowg New Member

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  7. baseman

baseman On the Water

I have a complete DePersia bailer in the garage. It's not the same style, but it should be the same size. I'll get some dimensions for you.

8. baseman

baseman On the Water

Well, that didn't work out exactly as planned. There is a rubber gasket holding the ball in place so it wont fall out. I don't want to disturb the gasket to take it out, but it appears to be 5/8 diameter.

9. Waterdowg

Waterdowg New Member

Thank you. So the ball goes in then the a rubber gasket/washer over it?

10. baseman

baseman On the Water

That's what it looks like to me. The bailer is 50 years old and probably still works. I don't want to try and take it apart.

11. Waterdowg

Waterdowg New Member

12. beldar boathead

There is a gasket in there - otherwise the bailer would have to been cast with the ball in place. The gasket might be what is indicated by 17 or 18 in the diagram.

13. baseman

baseman On the Water

There is a gasket in there. As BB said, without it the ball would not stay in place. I can't get the gasket out to show you what it looks like, but it's not flat. It's a conical shape. You might be better off putting in a plastic bailer.

14. CW Spook

CW Spook New Member

15. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

I just had the opportunity to see the original metal DePersia bailer in a 1971 Viking. Pretty slick operation! :cool:

When the patent has run its course, somebody should bring them back! While the old DePersia bailer is prone to corrosion, the "new" plastic bailers are very prone to deep scratches and fracturing. :(

16. beldar boathead

Maybe we need carbon fiber bailers!

• Like Like x 1
  17. beldar boathead

BTW, that patent should have expired a long time ago. They were 17 or 20 years back then. Perhaps you should start making them! They took a long time to unscrew, and the corrosion problem was a problem, so I will stick to my plastic bailer, but you might be able to sell some of either metal or carbon fiber.

18. baseman

baseman On the Water

I have two De Persia bailers. One of them is on my 1973 Viking. The other one is from an early 60s Scorpion. Neither one of them is threaded. I've never seen a threaded version. The stopper on mine just pop up and neither one of them are corroded.

19. beldar boathead

Interesting there were two versions. I looked at the patent diagram, and the upper diagram shows the screw in version that Sunfish used. The other drawing is the pop up, which looks like a better idea. I wonder why Alcort chose the screw in version. Possible it was a cost decision. BB

20. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

Update on the metal bailer.

fb Small Boat Restoration

Yes the ball is bigger than the one in a plastic bailer. And there is an internal washer. I found a washer at the hardware store that fit inside, now I need to measure the inner diameter of the bailer and find the right size plastic ball. I'll look online or maybe at a craft store.