Regattas, question.

Ok If i race laser radials for a club, how do regattas work, do i just join any local ragatta or open admission regatta and hope to get invited to a higher ranking regatta or what? like do i need to sign up for these or does my club do that for me

look up what district you are, there are certain qualifications to move to some bigger regattas, some you just sign up for but, usually top finishers move on to invitational regattas, there are laser regattas worldwide and year round

you'll have to sign up for these events, your club may have a district or regional event if they have a strong laser fleet

look up what district you are, there are certain qualifications to move to some bigger regattas, some you just sign up for but, usually top finishers move on to invitational regattas, there are laser regattas worldwide and year round

you'll have to sign up for these events, your club may have a district or regional event if they have a strong laser fleet

So basically, i sign up for local and open regattas, and if I do good i could get invited through my club or the race commitee could contact me?

From what I understand you just turn up and race if you are in the US). In the UK it is similar. There are clubs which organise regular racing (usually every weekend during the summer) and there is also a regatta (or open) circuit. To do an open regatta you generally need to be a member of the class association and you boat should be 100% class legal.

You should also be able to attend your countries National events by paying the relevant fee and turning up to race.

To compete any higher most areas have qualification events which (if you do well) will earn you the right to a place at the relevant event (Europeans, Worlds etc..).

Janson: I hope you do your sailing somewhere in North America (you can add your location to your profile on this site). Otherwise, my post will be virtually useless.

I will expand a bit on the previous posts.
In the USA, very few regattas require an invitation. Even for the most prestigious one (Miami OCR) one can just sign up. There may be a deadline to register though. For younger sailors, the Orange Bowl event (in late December) is a big deal (http://www.orangebowl.org/community/orange_bowl_youth_regatta.aspx).
More in general, the Laser regatta calendar for North America is posted on www.laser.org. Take a look! The Nationals and all the District championships are open to anybody with a legal (!) Laser. For many of these, you will need to be a member of ILCA North America though ($35/year for a junior such as you).

Events that are by invitation only are (to my knowledge at least) typically organized by US Sailing. To be considered for some of these, you will first need to submit a sailing resume.
Here's a link to see what US Sailing is doing for juniors:
http://racing.ussailing.org/Junior_Olympics.htm

PS: Don't forget to have fun...

Ok If i race laser radials for a club, how do regattas work, do i just join any local ragatta or open admission regatta and hope to get invited to a higher ranking regatta or what? like do i need to sign up for these or does my club do that for me
shouldn't you just ask someone from your club?

Thanks allot for the information. Since I dont currently have a laser, I sail my clubs but i'm purchasing one/getting one for christmas, does the boat come with an assigned sail number to register or how do i get the number and register my boat? Sorry for all the questions. And I do live in North America.

Thanks allot for the information. Since I dont currently have a laser, I sail my clubs but i'm purchasing one/getting one for christmas, does the boat come with an assigned sail number to register or how do i get the number and register my boat? Sorry for all the questions. And I do live in North America.
The number comes with the hull; there should be a sticker on the back of the cockpit (unless the boat is very old). If you apply for membership of ILCA North America, you will be asked for this number, as I recall.

No, im getting the boat brand new. comes with everything. Spars hull, sails, fittings, blades. The only number you can buy on laser website is 8. So im winderinf if i buy a brand spankin new laser from laser performance, do i get the physical numbers with it?

No, im getting the boat brand new. comes with everything. Spars hull, sails, fittings, blades. The only number you can buy on laser website is 8. So im winderinf if i buy a brand spankin new laser from laser performance, do i get the physical numbers with it?
With a major purchase like that, smile and ask the dealer to give the numbers to you for free. And ask for European style numbers. Digital 8s are just not pretty, IMHO. According to the ILCA Handbook, the first two digits (probably 20) should be red, the last four digits black.

PS: Each number costs $2.27, if bought at APS.

for the sail number, if you look at the back of your boat, there is a serial number, the last 2 digits are the year it was made, the first digits are the sail number i believe. You can only buy 8 because you need to cut them into numbers of your choice, and like wavedancer said, The last 4 of the six or five digit sail number should be either black or blue. Blue is usually for a laser radial, while black tends to be for your laser fullrig

Back