reefing the sail

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Richard Watkins, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Saying that someone's English is funny seems to me that you are saying that their English is poor. Metsche is being good-natured about it, but other more sensitive souls may never post here if they believe they will be mocked for their language skills.

I don't like to keep quoting your posts and saying "that's provoking." It's a real pain to have to keep warning you. Food for thought--it's not necessary to constantly quip. Please only post if you have an idea or information relevant to the thread topic.

2. Kratos

Kratos Member

dot dot dot

3. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

dash dash dash

4. Kratos

Kratos Member

Knock it off, Merrily. Stop provoking.

5. Deimos

Deimos Member

Why do so many threads here degenerate into personal attacks. Unnecessary and does not encourage wide participation. There are other fora where people can squabble and be critical or each other (and maybe do little else) but do we have to do it here as well ?

This sort of thing seems t be happening a lot at the moment - and no prizes for guessing ....

I suppose I would post more except I cannot be bothered to as my spelling is not always 100% and I never was much good at English at school and I might just sometimes make a typo and the associated grief ...

This is a fairly quiet forum and maybe this sort of behaviour does not encourage people.

Ian

6. Kratos

Kratos Member

1. I made no personal attacks. People seem to make a big deal out of every little thing that is said and draw things from them that were never there to begin with.
    2. No you wouldn't post more, so don't make things up.
    3. You're right. No prizes for guessing because I guess it's pretty obvious. See point number one, though.

7. Deimos

Deimos Member

See what I mean. A relevant thread about reefing a sail goes the way of so many others.

To the original poster - sorry. Maybe people at your local club can help you whailst we squabble between ourselves here.

Wow - you must know more about me than I do. I would be fascinated to see how you "know" that. This is now quite more than pathetic. I should never have said anything. And I thought we were here because of an interest in sailing and Lasers in particular. My mistake.

Ian

8. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins New Member

Hola all of you,
    Sorry I haven't added any thoughts lately--been off being a tourist in Mexico.
    I think Metsches suggestion of adding a bit to the top of the mast will work best for me, because I got two masts with my Laser. The original one is bent a bit, so I have an exact size piece available to add to top. This will not alter the boat permanently.
    I really appreciate all of the thoughts. Thanks to all of you.
    I am not sailing in any competition. Not another sail boat around. Just enjoying being out on the water. So the rules don't matter.
    RE: language differences--I speak a bit of German because I worked for a German company for some years. Yankees don't need to because the Germans speak English so well. Biggest source of laughter with my German friends came from the fact that they speak British not American. Some funny diiferences in our "English".!!
    I am immersed in a bit of a language issue here--I am about 60 miles south of Cancun. Not much English spoken here.. So I have mucho fun speaking to the locals.
    Enjoy every minute of it.
    Summary-- relax yall. Enjoy. We are sailing in the very best Toy Boat.
    Peace - love - sandy feet.
    Thanks again. Love the Laser and the Laser Forum.
    D

9. softshuffle

softshuffle Member

Please don't shoot down my English ( I am Chinese!![​IMG]). This is a suggestion to Richards's problem. What about raising the mast by putting a wedge of some sort in the mast step. I don't know how much height you can get away and what you would use as a wedge.

10. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

The 14" or so of depth in the mast step is all you have to counter any and all forces that are place on the mast/rig. Adding anything to the bottom of the step will significantly reduce the ability of the tube to support lateral forces of wind and sheeting and may cause the tube to crack or fail. The old force x distance = torque comes into play.

Good luck, Eric

11. Richard Watkins

Good idea Softshuffle. In very good English.! I wish I could do so well in any other language.
    I could put a 4 to 6" long, round wood post in the mast hole. The downhaul would tighten up everything nicely. Simplest idea yet.:)
    However, being the Mechanical Engineer that I am, I am concerned about the stresses on the fiberglass in the hole. As xflyer95 discusses. I'd bet that the bottom of the hole is reinforced more than it is above that.
    I believe I will try the additional bit on top as Metsches suggested. Bit more work, but not much. Since I have a spare, bent, mast I have the parts I need.
    Thanks so much for all the good thoughts.
    It may be a while before I get it done--busy with Honey Do's..:(
    Will post a note after I try it.
    D

12. Richard Watkins

Hola from Mexico,
    I added ten inches of AL tube (from old mast top section).
    Drilled out pop rivets on boom attachment on mast, moved it up ten inches.
    Wunderbar as Metsches might say.
    His idea. It worked great. No changes to sail. 10 more inches of clearance under boom. Now the ols stiff body can get under the boom.
    Probably more than I need. If so, I can cut a bit off of the top and lower the attachment the same bit.
    The increased height on the mast and sail is going to increase the tip over potential, but I'm not racing--just cruising. So I anticipate good sailing.
    Thanks Metsches.
    D

13. PiersHS

PiersHS Member

Laser EPS- a higher performance laser with wings but as the class has pretty much died they are dirt cheap- I would buy one of those instead of fitting wings!

14. metsche

metsche New Member

Hi Richard,
    I'm happy I could help you :) ! Meanwhile I have finished a new project. My tuned speedbreed. Speedbreed is a little skiff from far-east-boats, only 3 meters and 1,3 wide that has an original sail area of 4,5 sqm. The advantage of this boat is, that it can be put on the roof of the car easily by one person as the hull weights only 30kg. Now this boat is more something for my son concerning the sail area.... How to manage that Daddy has fun too with speedbreed?
    I gave this skiff a new spar of 55mm aloy tube and added a laser standard rig. This worked fine but some lasers were somehow a little bit (only a little bit) faster than me. Now I added a bowsprit and a jib of a topper topaz with 1,75sq. Alltogether the boat has now about 8,8sqm and I cannot await to test it when we have some more degrees here in Germany :) A rooster 8.1 has 8,1 sqm, mine has 8,8. Very funny with such a little hull:)

Some pics:
    http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVPPKfJ
    http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVPPPf0
    http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVPPWJr
    http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1a9Dmi

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1Iv4P9

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqR_aB9

15. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Metsche:
    Looks like putting a Laser rig on an Open Bic. I wonder how your creation will handle...
    It's certainly innovative!