Re-striping help/suggestions needed

Lafayette Mike

My wife has fallen in love with our Minifish and is going to race it next summer (after I fix it up over the winter). It's easier to handle in high winds than her Laser II and she likes the easy setup/knockdown. We are both getting older (60) and it's a great boat for her.

The hull is in great shape. Still glossy white......but the orange stripes are coming off. I can't really tell if it is lousy paint or adhesive trim striping.

Either way, I'd like to scrape off the orange stripes and repaint the original stripes red and blue, to match her new sail. The stripes are only about 24" long......between 1" and 2" wide.....

I really can't see purchasing two quarts (one red, one blue) of Topside paint for this job. Too expensive..... Assuming I prep the fiberglass well (the hull doesn't appear to have any crazing or cracking), can I use a high quality (Rustoleum?) gloss spray paint? Or does anyone have a better suggestion? The boat is used in fresh water only, stored out of the water upside-down. If I have to repaint every couple of years, thats OK.

Thanks

Mike

If you can scrape off the stripes they are not part of the gel coat. I'm not sure if the white hull you are looking at is
original gel coat or a repaint. Topside paint is about a cheep as it gets but you would not be happy with its durability
if you want gelcoat hardness. If you do want to use Rustoleum you'll do best to spray Topside with Valspar Hardner
and a reducer such as Naptha. I used a ratio of 8:4:1 (Paint/Reducer/Hardner) to paint the bottom of my Sunfish.
Again not rock hard like gelcoat but inexpensive and easy to apply/repair. Personally I'd just get a can of Kyrlon and
call it good. If the hull gel coat is in super A1 shape and you want gelcoat stripes I'd say have the job done professionally.

My wife has fallen in love with our Minifish and is going to race it next summer (after I fix it up over the winter). It's easier to handle in high winds than her Laser II and she likes the easy setup/knockdown. We are both getting older (60) and it's a great boat for her. The hull is in great shape. Still glossy white......but the orange stripes are coming off. I can't really tell if it is lousy paint or adhesive trim striping. Either way, I'd like to scrape off the orange stripes and repaint the original stripes red and blue, to match her new sail. The stripes are only about 24" long......between 1" and 2" wide.....I really can't see purchasing two quarts (one red, one blue) of Topside paint for this job. Too expensive..... Assuming I prep the fiberglass well (the hull doesn't appear to have any crazing or cracking), can I use a high quality (Rustoleum?) gloss spray paint? Or does anyone have a better suggestion? The boat is used in fresh water only, stored out of the water upside-down. If I have to repaint every couple of years, thats OK. Thanks Mike
I'd recommend Rustoleum "for plastic" spray. (Or regular Krylon).

Spray, however, doesn't mask any defects or adhesive left behind if the stripes are, indeed, adhesive trim striping. (Whereas, new stripes would mask them). Try an automotive supply shop for new "racing stripes".

Cataracts develop faster from bright sun. :( (Especially reflected off water). I'd select any darker topside colors to protect the eyes. :cool: (And wear Polaroid sunglasses). :cool:

Perhaps Goo-Gone will eliminate the adhesive. "A little goes a long way". Ask if Goo-Gone's claims to leave painted surfaces untouched is true. :)

I'd recommend Rustoleum "for plastic" spray. (Or regular Krylon).

Spray, however, doesn't mask any defects or adhesive left behind if the stripes are, indeed, adhesive trim striping. (Whereas, new stripes would mask them). Try an automotive supply shop for new "racing stripes".

Cataracts develop faster from bright sun. :( (Especially reflected off water). I'd select any darker topside colors to protect the eyes. :cool: (And wear Polaroid sunglasses). :cool:

Perhaps Goo-Gone will eliminate the adhesive. "A little goes a long way". Ask if Goo-Gone's claims to leave painted surfaces untouched is true. :)

It is original gelcoat......the boats never been painted.....

Hadn't thought about the automotive trim........too much sailing yeasterday! :) I will likely try that first.......if it doesn't work well I can always remove it an paint........Thanks

Mike

Back