Raising the sail: the right order?

c14_Scott

Perhaps I would learn this myself in time, but it would be helpful to know if there's a "correct" order for getting started.

What I mean is, when I'm ready to raise the sail(s), what should be my sequence of events?

I do know to point into the wind, but I'm only guessing at the rest. Some questions:

-while hoisting sails, would it help to have the centerboard up?
-raise the mainsail or jib first? (single-handed sailing)

... and any other hints that you more experienced folks have in your routine would be most welcome, too. I just get a little overwhelmed during the few minutes it takes to transition from motor to sail, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

With the capri, if at all possible, I try to pick a way to launch her under sail. Facing into the wind, I raise sails on shore. Then I fall off...

This is not always possible single handed (or otherwise)... So, Ideally, you'd motor into the wind. A tiller tamer is a must (I don't have one, but use a bungee). Centerboard down (for stability), I raise the main first... then the jib. I leave the jib sheets loose, and the main sheet loose during raising...

Everything luffs for a bit... Then I fall off, and sheet in the main... as I struggle with the motor (lifting the electric motor to parallel with the water while sailing can be interesting)...

As I heel and flip back high-side, I then sheet in the jib and as was said in "What about Bob," -- "I'm Sailing!"

OK end of day? Motor sail first, head into wind.. tiller tamer... drop jib, drop main (did you remember your topping lift, or do you have a boom kicker, otherwise you are wearing your boom right now).

Your ready to DOCK!

Basically I do the she same as Shnool, but I do it from the dock, I don't have a motor and that isn't half the story. My wife and I get into it all the time when I sail, I keep telling her it is a sail boat, so why do you need a motor. Everytime I try to attempt to sail onto or off of a mooring buoy in the BVI, I get into trouble, maybe I will get it accomplished next year, I will just do it before she up from below deck.

Onto your question, I launch my boat from a wench, and then pull it to a dock. I have the sails already rigged ready to be hoisted. After tieing up to the dock, I immediately lower the center board, and the tiller and lock them down, for stability. From that point I raise the Main and then the Jib. All sheets are loose, the sails are luffing.

At this point then I am ready to cast off, I will either pull in the main sheet and sail up to the dock and release the line or pull my self up to the dock, depends on the wind. I then allow the boat to fall off, tighten up the jib and main sheets, and hopefully sail away form the dock and away from the other boats that are in their slips about 30 ft away, out of the harbor and off to have fun.

98% of the time this works, but depending on wind and other factors, there are times I end up over against the other boats, but you really learn how to handle a boat.

Kent

I launch from the trailer, I have the sails started but not up while on the trailer. Depending which way the wind is blowing is the side of the ramp I lower on, I lower the centerboard and tiller, tie off at the end of the dock and after parking the truck, I raise the jib first, it will flap like a mother. Then I raise the main and that's where the side of the ramp I picked is important because I move to the end of the dock , flip off the dock line, jump in, grab the the boom and fill the sail enough to turn out to the channel, pull the main sheet in and away we go. As soon as I clear the ramp traffic I trim the jib and go. Sometimes I will pull out from the main route of traffic but in the channel and go into Irons to sort out lines, gear or crew.
When I first started to sail, I always had someone with me who could fend off another boat with a boat hook or throw a fender between us if something goes wrong, I found hollering, "Oh Crap! Oh Crap! I'm so sorry I'm so sorry" as things are going crazy, people will run to protect their boat or give you a hand but if you don't let them know early that your in trouble and wait till you smack into them they respond much worse.
The only way you will get good is to do it over and over and over. In doing so, you will screw up, plan on it, it will sharpen your skills. And use common sense, if 5 Gang bangers are launching their aluminum fishing boat and they are already juiced up, I just wait it out, I do not want to bang into them by accident, or the big shiny mega-buck speedboat. Run drills off the end of a empty dock if you can find one, and just keep doing it over and over.
I did that with my big family tent one Saturday, I put it up and down 10 times, I can do it in my sleep. I know I will have to put it up in the rain sometime...

One more thing, sailing with my wife is the ultimate test of my manliness. To maintain my temper, keep my mouth closed, making sure I honor my wife in my words and actions, expressing love through restrained strength...is 10 times harder on a boat than anywhere else. Is that just me?
" Sweetheart, hard a-port, yeah pull the tiller towards you because we are going to hit the rocks...no...towards you, towards you,... now baby...towards you... honey, NOW please. :eek:
Oh no baby, I wasn't yelling at you, I didn't think you could hear me.

I always hoist the main before the jib as the jib will beat itself to death on the shroulds. I have no motor, I do have a paddle but the boat will go forward nicely if you rock it side to side (no sails up).

Don't be overwelmed as its just sailing. Practice away from other boats, approaching a fixed point in the water raising and lowering sails, luffing to a stop, backing the boat by back winding the main, that kind of stuff. Have fun.

Back