Radial Weights

rflack

Just wondering what weight most of you Radial sailors are sailing at.I was wondering about what the minimum weight is to start in on a radial, also what is the top of the scale for the radial rig?

Thanks a bunch,

RF

I weighed around 65 kg when I first bought my radial rig but since then I slimmed down to 55kg and have stayed that way. I am on the light end for a radial and have considered getting a 4.7 rig to make it a bit easier on myself. Around 15 knots (maybe a bit less) is my maximum when I start having trouble.
Main question...how much do you weigh? We should be able to advise you on what rig you need. Another is what sort of wind do you sail in? Mostly light winds or heavy or a mix of both?

Siege

I weigh about 125 lbs (or almost 57 kg) and find that I struggle keeping the boat flat when it blows over about 12 knots. Part of that is because I'm tall but skinny and not too strong :(.

i way about 58kg and its quite hard for me as well,
the offical weights are:
-55=4.7
55-70=radial
70+=full rig

I wouldn't worry too much about "official weights". From previous threds it appears all world champions over the last 5 years were all over 70kgs. Look at the current champion. Probably 78kgs, I don't think he took too much notice to the "official" hype.

If I had a choice I would be aiming at 73kg.

i weigh around 57kg varing 2kg up and down.

i find that after about 15 knots, i start to struggle.

i also have a 4.7 rig which i find really good fun in heavy weather.

i am about 5ft 8in

i'm not sure but i think i am still a little short

when i was in the radials i was anyting from 67-70 and i had good allround speed, got passed by lightweights downind, and sometimes got passed by heavyweights in a blow upwind. then i started getting heavier and my upwind performance got better and downwind it slowly got worse, i say slowly because my skill level was improving as well but not enough to counteract me getting heavier.

i now sail a full rig at 80kg

i weigh about 69 kgs and have good speed i did a lot of work on my down wind speed and now i'm as fast as anybody, i go alittle slow in light airs upwind something else i need to work on

Hey,
Im a 15 year old female, and i weigh a good 130 pounds. Even I struggle to keep my laser radial flat. I am only 5'5" tall so i cant hike out very far. So in winds over 15 knots, i just ease my main out a TINY bit while I try to hike the boat flat. Then, once i get it flat I pull it back in. Works for me. But you gotta try different techniques. But hey, if worst comes to worst....gain weight...not bad weight, good weight-ie muscle- thats what I did. :)

rflack said:
Just wondering what weight most of you Radial sailors are sailing at.I was wondering about what the minimum weight is to start in on a radial, also what is the top of the scale for the radial rig?

Thanks a bunch,

RF

I'm sailing my Radial at 157 lbs and I'm happy. I started off with the standard rig and kept ending up in the water. I think when I get more experience with controlling sail shape, I'll break out the standard rig again and give it a go. I definitely still use the standard in light winds.

Metric conversion:

55 kg = 121.2 lbs.
70 kg = 154.3 lbs.

Janet

im 145 lbs but with sailing gear on im about 150 and it seems to be a perfect weight, i have no problem keeping the boat flat in any wind and i can still scoot along in the light winds

I just started sailing laser radials a ltile while ago and found that about the highest wind i can hike flat in is about 12 kts. Put it this way, 100lbs just doesnt cut it. I do great in lighter winds but as soon as the wind picks up its all over. So im sailing a 4.7 now and its great to actualy be in controll of the boat :) .

Dan

Hey
I have been racing my laser radial in the NY area for 2 years now. I weigh 140 pounds and have no trouble keeping my laser flat even when its blowing hard

Back