Radial to Full?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Goonie, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Goonie

Goonie Guest

What is a good weight to switch from Radial to Full? When did you guys and gals switch?

2. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

ummm...k

the brochure says optimal crew weight for the radial is at 110-150 pounds. the laser is 160-190 pounds.

3. Goonie

Goonie Guest

Thanks!

4. geoff

geoff New Member

110 is still too light for a radial - try 135 -160

5. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

ummm...k

i wouldn't agree with that. i'm 95 and have no prob keeping one down till around 17knts

6. Goonie

Goonie Guest

Yeah, but after 17 knots, then what? 95 is too light.

7. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

ummm...k

ok poeple i'm just backing up what the brocheur says. what else would you sail, a 4.7?

8. Goonie

Goonie Guest

Yeah! Why not?

Seth

9. phantomdarkness

phantomdarkness New Member

okay, 135-160 is WAY too heavy for a raidal. The world champs a couple of years ago only weighed approximately 130!!!!

10. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

ummm...k

exactly why the optimal radial weight is 110-150 lbs.

11. Goonie

Goonie Guest

I NEED HELP FAST!!! Can someone please tell me the OPTIMAL crew weight for the 4.7!!!

EDIT: Found it ;)!

Seth

12. pleon5045

pleon5045 New Member

ive heard the optimum weight for a radial at about 140.... def dont wanna be over 150 tho... i guess you could do it but it would be painful in light air. it seems like too big of a gap though, b/c you're not going to be that competitive in a fullrig until 165-170. I guess you just dont want to be in the 155-165 range. too bad b/c thats what a lot of teenage guys would be.
    kendall

13. kwilson

kwilson New Member

It depends alot on the wind strength as well. If I'm just out having a good time I find that in heavy wind I can maintain much better control with a radial than a full rig. Consquestly providing me with the ability go faster instead of fight the boat for control. 8)

14. phantomdarkness

phantomdarkness New Member

in regards to a 4.7, basically, i'd say like 90-125 or so. I'm not positive, but that would be my guess

15. will162878

will162878 New Member

See the PSE's (UK and Europe manufacturer's) site (www.lasersailing.com) for ideal crew weights. Select boats, then laser, then 4.7 and find the "tech spec" section. The figures are in kilos: 2.2lbs = 1kg. This will give a sailing weight not a racing weight so add a bit to the lower end of the range for the ideal racing weight but you should be able to handle a 4.7 at the weights specified.