racing watches

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by flaserlover, Apr 28, 2010.

1. uid100

uid100 New Member

This one has no buttons to get accidentally pushed, but it's pretty easy to read from almost anywhere in the cockpit, and it's accurate as long as you don't capsize. It only works for particular starting sequences though, so its use is pretty limited.

Attached Files:

2. flaserlover

flaserlover Member

lol

3. scars_scrapes

scars_scrapes New Member

well I jumped in with two feet and bought a Suunto M3, will see how I like it.

4. Strangler

Strangler Member

For club racing I use two watches!! The big yellow one is on the mast. We have 4 class starts at 3 min intervals. The wrist watch is on a 3 min recycle so I can start it at any previous class warning gun. The big un is on 6 min countdown, I use the small un to count me in to the 6 min. In the final 10 secs I much prefer looking at the mast than wrist to get a good start.
    At a regatta with 5 4 1 off just the big un is fine. A tip for catching the warning gun- stop the countdown at 4.58. The gun goes. You now have 2 secs to hit the button.

Attached Files:

5. flaserlover

flaserlover Member

6. arm

arm arm

Hola.

I have "el cheapo" casio with a countdown...take the 4 mins and go from there...easy to use, can't beat the price, and it has indiglo!! so cool!!

I have a compass on deck because my normal racing is done in a course rounding preset marks...you need the compass to get around...the "big" boats sometimes don't know where to go and cannot be trusted ;) but, I am so busy with plain sailing the laser that I only use the compass for headings as opposed to studying it for shifts...much to learn have I :) anyway, I can see headers or lifts agains the shore on the background...if I could always tack to take advantage when I detect those darn shifts ha ha ha.

be well

Antolin

7. H.Atkinson

H.Atkinson New Member

Hi I use the ronstan 4030 clearstart (big blue watch) on my mast & have a smaller wrist ronstan watch as a back up! It is quite good to be able to synch the watches if necessary although I certainly use the mast watch for the countdown to the start as it is so visible & you generally are looking in that direction (not at your hand).
    I had a big yellow rooster watch (as pictured previously) but it only lasted about 6 months before getting water damage.
    The Ronstan watches have been really great & lasted well & battery changes have gone fine.
    Cheers Hamish A NZ :)

8. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Member

I just ordered this off of APS for Christmas, ill post a review once it get it but from what i hear the Ronstan Clear Start line are some of the best purpose built sailing watches

Attached Files: