questions

vege_pie

Hi there

just have a few questions about the laser 4.7.

First off how much Vang should i have on when i am on a reach?

What is the best way to keep the centerboard from falling out when you capsize?

How do you get the creases out of the sail in light airs?

The plug in the bottom section of the mast when ever i take it out of the mast hole it is always stuck and takes a good pull to come out and then the plug is stuck in the bottom what is the best stuff to use to keep the plug in the mast?

Bungee on the end of the boom does it need one to pull the sail back when you release the out haul?

My boom is not going onto the goose very well i can get it on about half way is it safe to just drill the hole in the boom?

The cockpit bung keeps falling out when i am out sailing so then i keep filling up with water does this happen to other boats or just mine?

stress cracks on the back of the bottom section should i be worried about them?

Thats all thanks

vege:)

Vang - you should have enough vang on to keep the leech from really twisting especially on a wider reach

Tie some shockcord to you centreboard and then to either the plate near the mast or the bow eye, I think the best setup is the one this guy uses : http://claysails.com/index.php?q=gallery&g2_itemId=312&g2_page=2

Don't worry too much about creases in the sail, in light air just pull a little bit of cunningham on to take the big creases out, leave the small ones

I have no idea how you get your bottom section stuck in the mast step, there should be plenty of room, make sure that the bottom cap is sealed in tightly - I think it should have a rivet but it doesn't really need it if it is pushed in securely.

The whole point of the bungee is for an inhaul - To pull the clew back towards the mast, opposite to the outhaul the outhaul goes out in light winds

Again no idea how the boom doesn't get on the gooseneck. It seems you probably have some non-laser parts

Not sure how you managed to get stress cracks on the aluminium bottom section, don't worry too much about the small ones you will get on the hull

Vang on reach,
>Tight enough to stop the leech from opening and spilling that precious power but not so >much that the leech is hooking (really bad shape, causes drag = slow :-( )

C/board,
>There should be a piece of bungee that usually comes from the bow fairlead, this clips onto >a loop which fits through a hole in the c/b pulling the c/b forward at the top. This forces >the trailing edge into the break at the back of the slot.

Creases out of the sail in light airs,
>Dont worry to much, could be a little to much on the controls

The plug in the bottom section of the mast when ever i take it out of the mast hole it is,
>Superglue! But make sure you dont superglue your mast to the hull..... not good.... just >the plug to the mast (should really be held in pretty tight)

Bungee on the end of the boom,
>Correct

My boom is not going onto the goose,
>Have you got something obstructing the entry to the boom? Grit, stones

The cockpit bung keeps falling out,
>Not sure unless you are sailing backwards with a worn out bailer spring

Stress cracks on the back of the bottom section should i be worried about them?
>Unless the crack goes all the way around the mast, there isn't much to worry about for now.
>There are numerous causes of this, vang pressure, death rolls, crash jibe.
>Nothing more than General wear and tear.

Enjoy your sailing

Back