question for guys who do a lot of frostbiting

The top and the bibs are explains together yes. I only have the bibs and i love them. And the drysuit is the also a VERY good option but it depends on what you prefer in the comfort range. If you decide to get a drysuit go and try them on. I prefer the skiff suit because it is spandex. It fits skin tight and you have nothing in your way like the baggy drysuit. But once again it all depends what it is you like

I think I've pretty much decided I'm gonna go with the drysuit. I'm not sure which one I want, or where I want to shop.

There just seem to be a lot of options, and it's a lot of money to spend, sight unseen. I don't exactly live in a sailing area, so I don't think anyone is gonna have drysuits to try out. The only sailing place I know of nearby is West Marine.

Screw it. Bought a Gill 4801 drysuit. $451 shipped including free fleece underthing.

So now what. I need something on the head, some gloves (Gill Neoprene?), a wicking layer for under the drysuit, maybe some socks for inside the drysuit? It has feet included, but I dunno.

I already have the dinghy boots, hopefully they'll still fit with the drysuit on.

This is all very complicated.

Pedal-Force,

It's not that complicated -- a little trial and error will help you find what's right for you.

Good choice on getting a breathable dry-suit. Here are some observations from over a decade of frostbiting in Connecticut. Some lasers, some Dyer Dhow -- through the entire winter as long as we can break ice and get out to the Sound.

Boots?
Your boots are rubber and not breathable. If you are exerting effort, you will have sweat accumulate from your feet and any drainage that doesn't make it through the suit. You'll need at least one thick pair of socks that will stay warm when wet, preferably two. Wool works, as do the Patagonia socks that I have, but I don't remember the material. Boots with thicker, flexible neoprene over your drysuit boots will really help.

Head?
I use wool watch caps. They're only about $6 on Amazon.com. I get the Navy spec ones and they've kept me warm even when wet. Don't dry them in the dryer though!

Gloves?
In cold, not freezing weather, I use a good, flexible pair of neoprene gloves. Rooster makes a good one. In freezing weather, warm gloves, covered by a pair of chemical gloves from Home Depot or Lowe's, work best. If you have race committee nearby, get a dry bag and put extra dry gloves in it. A change of gloves and hand warmers are a frostbiter's best friend in really cold weather.

Get out, do it, and you'll find what works best. It sure beats sitting indoors in the winter!

Thanks.

I realized I have some cycling stuff that I can use. Gonna try and use my balaclava that I have, a long sleeve rash guard I already have, some cycling tights (wool inside of something).

Just bought two pairs of Gill gloves. Bought the winter neoprene, and the three season.

Think I should be good to start at least. Might be on the water by next weekend.

Thanks.

I realized I have some cycling stuff that I can use. Gonna try and use my balaclava that I have, a long sleeve rash guard I already have, some cycling tights (wool inside of something).

Just bought two pairs of Gill gloves. Bought the winter neoprene, and the three season.

Think I should be good to start at least. Might be on the water by next weekend.

If that rash guard is lycra don't wear it in the winter. Lycra is a cooling material (part of why we all wear them in the summer) and is the last thing you want on in the winter. Stick to polypropelyne (sp?) tops like the rooster polypro (other makes are available) and you'll be toasty warm.

Back