Question about Laser Manufacturers

Just A Mom

We have an appointment to see a boat. We are so close now to buying since we found something local that meets our standards.

While reading (and reading some more!) about what to check when considering a used Laser for purchase I came across this bit:

1) Serial number and Age

• CHECK THE SERIAL NUMBER TO FIND OUT WHEN THE BOAT WAS MADE AND WHERE. Check the transom (rear) of the boat for the serial number. It will look something like PFS 800000779, with the first three letters indicating the builder, followed by a mix of letters and numbers.

PFS = Performance Sailcraft (1971-1974) (Montreal, QC); ZFS = Performance Sailcraft (1974 -1985) (Point Claire, QC); PSC = Performance Sailcraft (19??-19??); PSL = Performance Sailcraft USA (San Rafael CA, 1973 to early '80s?); PSI = Performace Sailcraft International (South Africa, until 1989); ZID = Laser International (Hawksbury, ON 1984-1991) Reincarnation of original Laser builder; PSB = Pearson Small Boats (1989-1991) (Portsmouth, RI)
NOTE-Beware of these ones!; SLI = Sunfish Laser Inc (1991 to March 1997)(Portsmouth, RI); OQT = Vanguard Sailboats Inc., (Portsmouth, RI )(March 1997 to present) in SLI facility which Vanguard purchased.

My questions pertains to the bolded, purple part. Does this refer to the PSB boats or the SLI boats???? My inclination is that it pertains to the PSB boats (because the author of this piece just used the word "reincarnation") but I want to be sure. The boat we are going to look at was manufactured by Sunfish Laser.

Advice? Wisdom?

I think the quality improved greatly once SLI took over. I would buy one of these over a Pearson. Keep in mind we are talking about fiberglass boats that are 25-30 years old.

A more direct answer to your question. The bold refers to Pearson/PSB.

Back