Pulley uptop the mast??

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by 73sunfish, Jul 29, 2009.

1. kmac17

kmac17 New Member

Get some spectra 12-strand line for your halyard and it will slip through the top cap with no issues. You can go as small as you want (7/64" or 1/8"), but bigger (3/16") is easier on the hands. I'd also recommend a horn cleat on the mast, cheap and can be screwed to the mast. Raise the sail as high as you can easily, make a 3:1 purchase and then use that to tighten the halyard and finish with a cleat hitch to the mast cleat. Then use the tail to tie a cunningham using the deck fairlead around the gooseneck, which keeps the sail attached to the boat during a capsize at a minimum. It can also be tightened to hold the boom down in heavier conditions. I personally tie a second 3:1 in the cunningham so I can crank the boom down if I need too.

Get a little can of McLube for lubricating the top cap. It's a silicone spray lubricant which will not harm lines or attract gunk. It's great for the blocks and the end caps if you have an adjustable outhaul.

Kevin..

2. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

I've had both kinds, but the only one to fail was due to a Wilcox-Crittenden pulley that parted at its swivel. Fortunately, I'd brought cable-ties and jury-rigged my way home.

3. kmac17

kmac17 New Member

Sorry to confuse anyone. I type cunningham, but I was referring to the "vang", which you tie with the tail of the halyard to hold the boom down. The cunningham is rigged along the luff, leading edge along the top (gaff) boom, of the sail. It requires a 2nd grommet and a cleat on the boom.

Kevin.

4. Alan S. Glos

Alan S. Glos Active Member

I still have a supply of plastic end caps with a nice brass Wilcox & Crittenden block on the side. $10 for the cap and block and
    $5.80 for a USPS Flat Rate shipping box. E-mail me at: aglos@colgate.edu if you are interested.

Alan Glos
    Cazenovia, NY